Gen1 buyer, looking for support!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dblex

Reaction score
Afternoon all! I am a 2015 Lariat 4x4 owner with 129K. Going to pass it to my 15 yr old this year when he turns 16, so its Raptor time for me. I dont want to spend more than 35K. I found a nice Race Red SCAB with 120K, Ford Certified Pre-own for $33k. I think I am going to jump all over it. First impressions is wow, no one ever told me these things feel like a tank. Its heavier than my 3.5 Ecoboost for sure, and definitely handles different. She feels so wide! Major differences in feel from the Lariat vs. Raptors. I WAS NOT Expecting this!

Back to a steel frame and body it seems!

Anyone have regrets? LOL!??!! will this truck last me with the 6.2L? is the certified pre-own selling me? or is it too much mileage. This is my budget.

Thoughts?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. Take a look around the Gen 1 section for what to look for on Gen 1s. At 120k miles the shocks should ha e been rebuilt around 3 times. Can you get a hold of previous owners service history?

OP
OP
Dblex

Dblex

Reaction score
Brakes, fluids, oil changes, rotations. No specifics on the shocks maintenance. I’ve read allot about that. Going to be a new Learning curve for me.

So that’s every 30k miles then? Rough costs for that??

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brakes, fluids, oil changes, rotations. No specifics on the shocks maintenance. I’ve read allot about that. Going to be a new Learning curve for me.

So that’s every 30k miles then? Rough costs for that??
Depends on if you can do the work yourself or not on the shocks. Shock exchange is around 600 up ......core charge is typically 500.....so just say 1200...then when you get your core charge back.....probably be out of pocket just for parts around 800 to 1000......if you do the labor then that's it...I have no idea how much labor would be for the shock swap

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
Anyone have regrets? LOL!??!! will this truck last me with the 6.2L? is the certified pre-own selling me? or is it too much mileage. This is my budget.

Thoughts?
Never heard anyone have regrets with a Gen 1, LOVE mine! Mileage and price seem about right, just check body condition, rust, maintenance records, etc. Should be good for a LOT more life at 120K.

Just buy rebuild swaps for around $1,200 and good to go. World of difference, drives like new. Should be every 50k unless you off-road a lot.

OP
OP
Dblex

Dblex

Reaction score
Never heard anyone have regrets with a Gen 1, LOVE mine! Mileage and price seem about right, just check body condition, rust, maintenance records, etc. Should be good for a LOT more life at 120K.

Just buy rebuild swaps for around $1,200 and good to go. World of difference, drives like new. Should be every 50k unless you off-road a lot.
All is good on body rust and the frame. Front and rear frame welds look good with no damage to the lower or scraping from crawling or 4wheeling. No undercarriage rust. Only thing that stood out was the heaviness of the door closing and the mirror shaking when I slammed it shut. Doors are heavy compared to the aluminum doors on mine.

stevenstommyboy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a heavy truck. Feels solid to me. Drive a 17 screw F150 and world of difference in feel and drivability. In a good way. Power is different too. Less peppy that the ecoboost but sounds great.

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I also have a race red scab, it’s the only one I ever seen in my parts, it stands out for sure.

I got mine with 150k on it and prob much more rust than you, but don’t regret it one bit! You won’t either.

As MurderedOutSVT said it’s like driving a couch, hands down the most comfortable vehicle ive ever owned.