Gen 3 Diamondback HD Hard Tonneau Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea the weight is a problem. the diamond back would work for me because it doesn't trifold and to much to remove it like I'd need to. I need one that can trifold and be able to open at the front too. since the 2k onboard generator gets rid of the storage under the seat. I won't use the foldable one cus it cuts into the flat space when the seats go up. Maybe the side behind the wheel storage bins ford sells could work as well. maybe ill get the extant encore. and modify the truxedo tool box and all will be done. should be good enough.

Stan G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious, does the back of the Diamondback fold open flat if you disconnect the struts? Or would you have to take that piece of the cover off?

Ta2punk

Reaction score
Curious, does the back of the Diamondback fold open flat if you disconnect the struts? Or would you have to take that piece of the cover off?

After a quick google search apparently it can but you have to remove the gas springs and make sure it’s tied down.

RotorOver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, as @Ta2punk indicated, just a quick half flip of the tab on the gas struts to disconnect one end, lay the cover over the opposite one and bungee cord it open. Takes about 30 secs. I've had no issues running it like this when hauling furniture and the like even on the highway.

speed77

Reaction score
Finally got my Diamondback hd installed. Pretty easy. Totally doable as one person. Still trying to get the cab panel tight enough and easy to close from just the driver side (end up have to get up and push it down to get passenger side locked). Letting the seals sit for a few days before messing with it. Also need to get the weather strip installed for the front of the cab to get it watertight. Too cold in chicago to do it just yet.

Ordered two of the AMB steps. @RickRed might need some tips installing but I’ll give it a go. Those steps are a must imo.

OP
OP
RickRed

RickRed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got my Diamondback hd installed. Pretty easy. Totally doable as one person. Still trying to get the cab panel tight enough and easy to close from just the driver side (end up have to get up and push it down to get passenger side locked). Letting the seals sit for a few days before messing with it. Also need to get the weather strip installed for the front of the cab to get it watertight. Too cold in chicago to do it just yet.

Ordered two of the AMB steps. @RickRed might need some tips installing but I’ll give it a go. Those steps are a must imo.
Let me know if you have any questions. They are a pretty straight forward install. Just a few weird angles/positions to get the brackets into the frame rail.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just installed my DB HD from my Gen2 on my Gen3. When I originally ordered it, I ordered the SE. It was defective and they replaced it. It’s then I decided to get the HD. I didn’t want all the cleats installed, just a few, maybe one on each side, but the only options they offer are all or none.

I found it necessary to buy extra weather stripping on Amazon, thicker and better than what’s provided, for the edge near the cab. It works well.

I too was concerned the auto close may not work with the DB in place but it worked perfectly every time I tried it.
7272D58A-2FFC-4FC4-A2E0-1172411596B4.jpeg

SunnyDayz143

Reaction score
The strangest thing happened this morning, I got an early/ahead of schedule delivery…My diamondback tonneau cover showed up.
In the world of supply chain hell that we are currently in,it was a welcomed unexpected surprise.

I *had a retraxpro XR/Ford Embark LS on the truck when I took delievery, but ended up having fitment issues and missing parts which ultimately led to it being returned. Which is really a shame because it looked great w/it’s low profile and functionality.

I have had several diamondback covers on various trucks over the years, and have always been extremely happy. Because of the retrax/Embark issue, I had an opportunity to reconsider my options and get a different cover, and I ended up with the Diamondback.

I choose the HD model with the “rugged black“ finish along with the pre-installed cleats. I also opted for the front cross bin 8 storage container.

I’ll be installing this cover weekend, but did test fit the cross bin to ensure it fit.

original Retraxpro XR/Embark LS
View attachment 325899

Diamondback delivery:
View attachment 325903View attachment 325904

cross bin test fit:
View attachment 325905
Any issues with the cover interfering with power tailgate lowering or raising with the key fob?

SunnyDayz143

Reaction score
I just installed my DB HD from my Gen2 on my Gen3. When I originally ordered it, I ordered the SE. It was defective and they replaced it. It’s then I decided to get the HD. I didn’t want all the cleats installed, just a few, maybe one on each side, but the only options they offer are all or none.

I found it necessary to buy extra weather stripping on Amazon, thicker and better than what’s provided, for the edge near the cab. It works well.

I too was concerned the auto close may not work with the DB in place but it worked perfectly every time I tried it.
View attachment 351851
You mean the power tailgate works fine with the DB cover?

gxgn

Reaction score
You mean the power tailgate works fine with the DB cover?
Yes, it works fine. I didn’t add extra weather strips, maybe if you do it would interfere with the self closing feature of the tailgate.

Attachments

• A4806221-5E2B-4251-9EE5-D3E9369E005D.jpeg
    A4806221-5E2B-4251-9EE5-D3E9369E005D.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 24