Gen 2 rear is TOO lightly sprung! needs airbags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Renomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mikeparker, my sentiments exactly re all purpose. The hardcore traditionalist here think you need a "Purpose Built truck" for hauling and another for jumping..mine does everything now with the airbags I put on and I had it way off the ground today at a pretty far leap as well.

I couldnt find any bags OTS for the Gen2, I did put together a custom setup with centering cups under the bags so they can lift off the bottom mounts and the bags I chose have internal Jounce bumpers so Zero pressure can be run without changing the normal ride feel. Compressor is under right front fender with wireless remote controller.

I can put 60psi in the bags and haul an extremely heavy tongue weighted fully loaded toy hauler (1000lb at ball) level with no adverse handling characteristics. Yup, you'll hear all kinds of negatives from the experts but Ive got at least 5000 miles in tow with absolutely not a flinch from the truck or suspension and ride feels just as plush as stock. I also haul a 3.5 ton dump trailer with the bags pumped up to about 50 psi, no sag, no sway...same for my boat which actually has a very low tongue weight (100lb) as that trailer is balanced. Bags will pump up o north of 100 psi but havent needed that pressure .

As far as I know right now, no one puts out a bag system for the Gen2...but it can be thrown together easily and still let you enjoy a true ALL PURPOSE truck..

Now let the haters chime in ;)~

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Coming from a Tacoma which I put Firestone Air Rides on witha compressor, I thought this new "BEEFY" truck could hold its own when towing a trailer...NOT!!

I have a 3500 lb toyhauler and when hooked up to the GEN2, it squatted like I had a bigblock sitting in the bed? WTF!!???

I would expect this from a Tacoma but not this truck.

Tongue weight no more than 500-600lb and my Taco with Firestone airbags pumped at 50 lb towed it level no problem.

I'll be ordering a set for this bird soon!

BTW, I browsed the topics but didnt see anything pop out at me regarding such a prob?

Tell us how much weight is on the tongue of your trailer. It sounds like it's way too heavy up front.

OP
OP
R

Renomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell us how much weight is on the tongue of your trailer. It sounds like it's way too heavy up front.

Yea it is over spec...I bought a TW scale and its about 900 lb (pending on the trailer load placement and how big the bikes are) which is extremely heavy TW. Truck is rated lower than that.

But even when the trailer is empty and "more Balanced" coming in at about 700 lb the truck squats...and forget putting any load of firewood or camping stuf in bed! Its a custom trailer with head, sink fridge,storage in the front as well as multiple tanks..so thats expected.

As pointed out in prev replies, Im running over the OEM recommended limits.

The airbags have solved all this,,,Ive got no sway, erratic pull behavior or rough ride, and its level or higher than level pending on the psi set..

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mikeparker, my sentiments exactly re all purpose. The hardcore traditionalist here think you need a "Purpose Built truck" for hauling and another for jumping..mine does everything now with the airbags I put on and I had it way off the ground today at a pretty far leap as well.

I couldnt find any bags OTS for the Gen2, I did put together a custom setup with centering cups under the bags so they can lift off the bottom mounts and the bags I chose have internal Jounce bumpers so Zero pressure can be run without changing the normal ride feel. Compressor is under right front fender with wireless remote controller.

I can put 60psi in the bags and haul an extremely heavy tongue weighted fully loaded toy hauler (1000lb at ball) level with no adverse handling characteristics. Yup, you'll hear all kinds of negatives from the experts but Ive got at least 5000 miles in tow with absolutely not a flinch from the truck or suspension and ride feels just as plush as stock. I also haul a 3.5 ton dump trailer with the bags pumped up to about 50 psi, no sag, no sway...same for my boat which actually has a very low tongue weight (100lb) as that trailer is balanced. Bags will pump up o north of 100 psi but havent needed that pressure .

As far as I know right now, no one puts out a bag system for the Gen2...but it can be thrown together easily and still let you enjoy a true ALL PURPOSE truck..

Now let the haters chime in ;)~

Nice. I'm sure it won't be long before someone comes out with a kit. In the meantime, any further details you could post would be appreciated. Pics? System and parts used? Thanks!

OP
OP
R

Renomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. I'm sure it won't be long before someone comes out with a kit. In the meantime, any further details you could post would be appreciated. Pics? System and parts used? Thanks!

Let me dig up the info, . Basically everything was off the shelf except I had to fab upper brackets from 1/4" thick steel angle iron and weld the upper bag mounts to that. I used 5/8" bolts thru existing frame holes to secure the bracket to the frame. Removed the stock jounce bumpers.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea it is over spec...I bought a TW scale and its about 900 lb (pending on the trailer load placement and how big the bikes are) which is extremely heavy TW. Truck is rated lower than that.

But even when the trailer is empty and "more Balanced" coming in at about 700 lb the truck squats...and forget putting any load of firewood or camping stuf in bed! Its a custom trailer with head, sink fridge,storage in the front as well as multiple tanks..so thats expected.

As pointed out in prev replies, Im running over the OEM recommended limits.

The airbags have solved all this,,,Ive got no sway, erratic pull behavior or rough ride, and its level or higher than level pending on the psi set..

You bought a Raptor that you want to perform like a Super Duty. And you're overloading the hitch and the truck but you've added airbags so you think your rig's OK.

I've got news for you and I'm sure you already know this - just because you've got airbags on your truck and it's more level now, you're still overloading the truck. And you'll be liable if you're in an accident. A lawyer will have a field day with what you're doing (towing).

Get a heavier duty truck designed for towing/hauling!

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
You bought a Raptor that you want to perform like a Super Duty. And you're overloading the hitch and the truck but you've added airbags so you think your rig's OK.

I've got news for you and I'm sure you already know this - just because you've got airbags on your truck and it's more level now, you're still overloading the truck. And you'll be liable if you're in an accident. A lawyer will have a field day with what you're doing (towing).

Get a heavier duty truck designed for towing/hauling!

That's the biggest issue that nobody wants to talk about right there.

OP
OP
R

Renomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the biggest issue that nobody wants to talk about right there.

Truck--------GCWR-----Payload----*Tongue----*Tow. Cap
17' Raptor----14,250-----1,200-------500/800-----5,000/8,000
*Weight Carrying / Weight Distribution

Pls correct me where Im wrong but Im not seeing where we're too far out from MFR specs? 100 over tongue??
The weight carrying given(Payload) is in the bed of the truck ..or direct load on the rear diff. spec

Worst case, my 3000 lb trailer loaded is under 5k and my tongue weight is 100 above the listed 800 lb? My dump trailer is rated at 5000 lb max load so towing that is still under 5000 lb with loads I usually pull (2 ton max).

BTW what do distribution hitches do? increase tongue capacity? Ive seen trailers nose diving wo them and level with them..as well as the pull vehichle level out too...if the bags bring the rear suspension into a new range (As would a Superduties suspensions would) then the weak point is the Rear Diff capability to support the weight.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Truck--------GCWR-----Payload----*Tongue----*Tow. Cap

17' Raptor----14,250-----1,200-------500/800-----5,000/8,000

*Weight Carrying / Weight Distribution

Pls correct me where Im wrong but Im not seeing where we're too far out from MFR specs? 100 over tongue??

The weight carrying given(Payload) is in the bed of the truck ..or direct load on the rear diff. spec

Worst case, my 3000 lb trailer loaded is under 5k and my tongue weight is 100 above the listed 800 lb? My dump trailer is rated at 5000 lb max load so towing that is still under 5000 lb with loads I usually pull (2 ton max).

BTW what do distribution hitches do? increase tongue capacity? Ive seen trailers nose diving wo them and level with them..as well as the pull vehichle level out too...if the bags bring the rear suspension into a new range (As would a Superduties suspensions would) then the weak point is the Rear Diff capability to support the weight.

You got really bent out of shape over a generalized statement not directed at you.

TL;DR...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Renomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Custom Airbag install on GEN2

I bought a tongue weight scale and my trailer is at 850 pounds, I also had about 400 pounds of wood in the bed, 4 people in the truck and about 200 pounds of supplies in the trailer at time of worst pic showing compression. Even still! I hauled this same rig in addition to two large kayaks on the thule rack on a smaller Tacoma for over 2000 miles without issue.

That said, I installed some bags, had to make my own mounts as noone has a set for the Raptor yet.

From what Ive read the 014 bags were cylindrical in design and always kept upward pressure which caused bad ride and guys took them off. They also limited the suspension drop on jumping (which I don't do). I used Bellows style bags.

I came up with a pretty decent design using RideRite bags, which have internal Jounce bumpers so you can run them at 0 pressure. I used centering cups so when the suspension is unloaded the bottom of the bag isnt attached (actually has about 8 inches from bott of bag to furthest axle drop point), when the truck is loaded, the bottom of the bags sit and center in the cups. I placed the compressor components behind the front fender above the mudskirt, fit great! So far works great! I need to do a few more measurements and dry runs with various loads before I do a write up but here are a few pics> Note pic of truck level , the bags have 10 psi in them. The new bags jounce position reduce travel only by 3" from where old jounce bottomed out.-as said-future write up coming.

AIRLIFT BAGS 88215 with internal Jounce loadlifter 5000 $366.45

AIRLIFT COMPRESSOR wireless # 25870 $267.88

DAYSTAR AIRBAG CRADLE KU09140BK $63