Gen 2 rear is TOO lightly sprung! needs airbags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s not just sag it helps, a properly adjusted WDH helps put pressure back on the front for steering and braking.... that’s the whole point. The above is a screen shot of a video I found when researching WDH’s. It’s not just making it ride level while towing it’s other benefits as well.
You are correct...and nice diagram...
I've towed many different set ups, and yes some w/o a WDH got too light up front for my taste...but others have towed fine with some sag...
My last truck (2wd set up pre-runner style) dropped 2.25" with a 5500-5700 enclosed trailer, but towed awesome....I would tow that trailer with that load anywhere, anytime with that sag and not worry...

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An update on this project for 2019s. The clearance is tight on the driver's side. After driving for a couple of weeks on right turns with bumps I was hearing rubbing from the left rear. Turns out the bump stop "bulge" was rubbing on the centering cup and bracket. No problem on the right (passengers) side as there is a lot more clearance on that side.

So I removed the drivers side bracket/centering cup and made some clearance then reinstalled. No further issues with rubbing after.

As stated earlier there is a lot more space in these areas on 2017-2018 Raptors. With the redesign of the suspension on 2019s the space is tighter here.

01c41346a6e985654232d3ead5bd9ab4.jpg2b231772774c8cd434f4ac494d2485ea.jpg9583dc4acd7a708aae217a7870598844.jpg8dea355aa51b33ca429b6c7bb1caab3c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Zilla

Reaction score
So I started this project yesterday on my 2019. The space on the updated 2019's suspension is definitely tighter than on the photos posted previously on this thread (on 2017/18 models), but everything does fit. The frame appears to be much thicker here than on the previous models with a few reinforcement plates welded in place here that do not appear to be on the earlier model photos (2017/18) posted in this thread. I had to grind down the welds on these plates on the frame a bit so they would allow the angle iron to sit flat.

I also had to cut the corners off of the upper airbag mounts to get them to clear the underside of the bed, but once that was done everything fit perfectly.

I used 1/4" thick angle iron and used my plasma cutter to cut out the center where the bulge is in the frame.

Then I jigged everything up in place and marked it as you see in the photos. I dropped the brackets and angle iron off at a local fabricator this AM to be welded in place. I have a welder but my welding skills are not the greatest, and my small home MIG maxes out at 1/4" so I didn't want to do it at home.

These are the same airbags and centering cups listed on page 9 of this thread by the OP. I did buy the "upgraded" stainless steel hardware kit from Airlift. I will be installing the Airlift Wireless One compressor with the EZ mount bracket on the right frame rail.

Will post more pics as the project continues.

View attachment 127279

View attachment 127280

View attachment 127281

View attachment 127282

I just bought this airlift setup and couldn’t get it to install in the intended location. Can you share more about your install. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zilla

Reaction score
So what...it sags a little...I read thru this whole old thread and can't believe how much work people are doing to their truck to avoid a WDH....The Raptor is a truck you want to avoid air bags, not a WDH
WDH won’t work with a boat trailer.

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought this airlift setup and couldn’t get it to install in the intended location. Can you share more about your install. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
What do you need to know specifically? Did you fab the brackets the same way?

Zilla

Reaction score
What do you need to know specifically? Did you fab the brackets the same way?

I’m actually looking for someone to fab the brackets. Does your shop still have the specs and would they be up for creating another set?

Ckhris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rennomans looks like he has more original bracket welded on than yours. I would think more bracket metal welded to the angle iron would be stronger. Im assuming this has to do with the 19 model difference you were mentioning?