Gen 2 rear is TOO lightly sprung! needs airbags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rennomans looks like he has more original bracket welded on than yours. I would think more bracket metal welded to the angle iron would be stronger. Im assuming this has to do with the 19 model difference you were mentioning?

Yes there is more vertical space on the 2017/2018. Mine is welded all the way around the back and the bracket is 1/4" thick. I don't think it's going anywhere but yes if the space were available then more bite on the bracket would be nice, the space just isn't there on the 2019+ suspension. From looking at the photos the frame is thicker w/ more steel reinforcement plates at this area on the 2019+.

RC Blk Bird

Reaction score
Well one post said let all the haters chime in. Here we go. By adding cheese **** airbags you are basically compromising a nicely tuned off-road rig, and towing capability goes way beyond not making the bumper drag. Lets see, how about the transmission, axle load rating, spring rating, and braking capability to mention a few. I towed a few heavy loads with my Gen1, never again, it was fairly unsafe. I don't think I'd attempt anything more than 4k, and probably wouldn't do that.

I have a dedicated tow rig, axle, brakes, and airbags rated to 16K, with towing limited to 26K. Above that you need air brakes.

Big Jimmy - tow beast GM 496ci w Allison 6spd Spicer 5:26 axle, it's also green - burns propane with stylin baby shit yellow paint
Big Jimmy.jpg Big Jimmy Axle.jpg

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well one post said let all the haters chime in. Here we go. By adding cheese **** airbags you are basically compromising a nicely tuned off-road rig, and towing capability goes way beyond not making the bumper drag. Lets see, how about the transmission, axle load rating, spring rating, and braking capability to mention a few

I don't consider myself to be a "hater"...Sooo lets see whats up shall we?...lets go over your points...BTW all Gen2 references..

Transmission....The Raptor has basically the same trans as the highest rated F150, which I believe is over 12,000 lbs so it should be just fine towing no more then around 8,000 in the Raptor

Rear axle....The rear axle rating is higher then other F150's, has bigger axle tubes and really beefy axle shafts...again well suited for only 8,000 lbs...

Rear Spring rating....this is were anyone comparing a mid/long travel off road sport truck to any high tow rated F150 hasn't done their homework...if you need to tow more then 8,000 lbs you simply bought the wrong truck, that's NOT an engineering mistake on Fords part...

Braking...again the Raptor has very similar brakes to the other F150's. I will admit the pedal isn't that high and firm that many people like (including myself) But it will still stop pretty good and of course if you are towing anything 5,000 lbs or more the trailer's braking should work fine with your Raptor...

How could your towing experience be so bad that you think 4,000 lbs and the truck is through?...Are you comparing a Raptor to a 3/4 ton truck?
I agree that towing to the max rating of 8,000 lbs is a little more then I would be comfortable with, and that goes for many of the 1/2 tons with wild tow rating like 12,000 lbs plus...

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree w/ you @Loufish

Even a regular F-150 would sag more than I like and I would put bags on it. The Raptor is more than capable of towing my 4-5000lbs trailer no problem.

And with this bag setup you can still offroad no problem (I already have w/ it). I don't jump my truck, I suppose that might be the one limitation.

And this solution is easily removable if I wanted/needed to. I could have it off the truck in under an hour, the only evidence being 2 holes through the inner box of the frame on each side (My bracket bolts pass through pre-existing holes in the outer box).

I always find it comical that some guys think you need a 1 ton dully pickup to tow a 1200 lb utility trailer. I always chuckle when I see the 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup pulling a little fishing boat on the road.

Last edited:

Ckhris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly, Im not looking to tow more than whats rated. I just dont want to tow for 6 hours with the ass end down.

Zilla

Reaction score
@Nickshu I had this setup installed last week and towed my boat (about 6500 lbs loaded with trailer) yesterday. Amazing ride and 50psi got rid of my sag completely. My only issue that I hit a very bumpy road (no trailer - bags at 5psi) that used to feel fine in the truck before but had a lot of clunking in the rear this time (possibly bags coming out of the cradles and dropping back in?). After storing the boat again I went back to this road with about 30psi in the bags and didn't feel a thing.

Do you run more than 5psi under normal driving? Have you had any similar issues while offroading?

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Nickshu I had this setup installed last week and towed my boat (about 6500 lbs loaded with trailer) yesterday. Amazing ride and 50psi got rid of my sag completely. My only issue that I hit a very bumpy road (no trailer - bags at 5psi) that used to feel fine in the truck before but had a lot of clunking in the rear this time (possibly bags coming out of the cradles and dropping back in?). After storing the boat again I went back to this road with about 30psi in the bags and didn't feel a thing.

Do you run more than 5psi under normal driving? Have you had any similar issues while offroading?

I run 5psi when driving/not towing. You really can't feel the bags at all with that. Towing I am using 40-60psi with about 450 lbs tongue weight. 40 lbs will get rid of the sag, 50 is better, 60 is even better but up at 60 it gets a little stiff in the rear over expansion joints, etc on the interstate.

I have done some light offroading at 5psi and there seems to be no issue.

The only clunking I had was when I was having interference on the driver's side at first...See my post above where I had to clearance the driver's side. Since then I have had zero clunking or noise from this setup. It's quiet as a mouse when towing and when not towing.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but I have had two sets of springs fail, one stock and one aftermarket.
Mostly because of being Supercharged and not having traction bars, plus they were rusted together and didn't allow full movement.
They cracked right about were your u-bolts from the air bag brackets are.

The way those u-bolts are, you're squeezing the springs out of shape.

Again I'm not an expert on suspension but to me,
it looks like you need more pads and put them between the leafs at the u-bolts on the air bag bracket.
Allowing for a more continuous arc curve.

The way it is now you eliminated quite a lot of progressive spring rate, the way the design is.

Is this the kit? https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=23767
The Gen 2 has an 1" more rear suspension travel too, they said you should be Ok?

I'm sure you followed the instructions and I hope you'll be fine for a long time.
I'm just concerned for a fellow Raptor owner.
Good Luck

A vendor should take this opportunity to design a better bracket system for these air bags!!!
Just thinking out loud. LOL

Last edited:

Zilla

Reaction score
I run 5psi when driving/not towing. You really can't feel the bags at all with that. Towing I am using 40-60psi with about 450 lbs tongue weight. 40 lbs will get rid of the sag, 50 is better, 60 is even better but up at 60 it gets a little stiff in the rear over expansion joints, etc on the interstate.

I have done some light offroading at 5psi and there seems to be no issue.

The only clunking I had was when I was having interference on the driver's side at first...See my post above where I had to clearance the driver's side. Since then I have had zero clunking or noise from this setup. It's quiet as a mouse when towing and when not towing.

thanks...I’ll have to get in there and see. I had a shop do it and will share your post with them.