Gen 2 rear is TOO lightly sprung! needs airbags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck--------GCWR-----Payload----*Tongue----*Tow. Cap
17' Raptor----14,250-----1,200-------500/800-----5,000/8,000
*Weight Carrying / Weight Distribution

Pls correct me where Im wrong but Im not seeing where we're too far out from MFR specs? 100 over tongue??
The weight carrying given(Payload) is in the bed of the truck ..or direct load on the rear diff. spec

Worst case, my 3000 lb trailer loaded is under 5k and my tongue weight is 100 above the listed 800 lb? My dump trailer is rated at 5000 lb max load so towing that is still under 5000 lb with loads I usually pull (2 ton max).

BTW what do distribution hitches do? increase tongue capacity? Ive seen trailers nose diving wo them and level with them..as well as the pull vehichle level out too...if the bags bring the rear suspension into a new range (As would a Superduties suspensions would) then the weak point is the Rear Diff capability to support the weight.
sent PM

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I started this project yesterday on my 2019. The space on the updated 2019's suspension is definitely tighter than on the photos posted previously on this thread (on 2017/18 models), but everything does fit. The frame appears to be much thicker here than on the previous models with a few reinforcement plates welded in place here that do not appear to be on the earlier model photos (2017/18) posted in this thread. I had to grind down the welds on these plates on the frame a bit so they would allow the angle iron to sit flat.

I also had to cut the corners off of the upper airbag mounts to get them to clear the underside of the bed, but once that was done everything fit perfectly.

I used 1/4" thick angle iron and used my plasma cutter to cut out the center where the bulge is in the frame.

Then I jigged everything up in place and marked it as you see in the photos. I dropped the brackets and angle iron off at a local fabricator this AM to be welded in place. I have a welder but my welding skills are not the greatest, and my small home MIG maxes out at 1/4" so I didn't want to do it at home.

These are the same airbags and centering cups listed on page 9 of this thread by the OP. I did buy the "upgraded" stainless steel hardware kit from Airlift. I will be installing the Airlift Wireless One compressor with the EZ mount bracket on the right frame rail.

Will post more pics as the project continues.

20190804_163627.jpg

20190804_155530.jpg

20190804_153113.jpg

20190804_163042.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Renomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im 100% happy with the bag install on my 017 then switched it too my 018!

Tow anything and with the inner jounce bumpers a jump now and then still gets cushioned if you bottom out

Remeber to go back and tighten the shackle U bolts everyonce in a while...they will settl ein and get loose!

NICE JOB!

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 100% happy with the bag install on my 017 then switched it too my 018!

Tow anything and with the inner jounce bumpers a jump now and then still gets cushioned if you bottom out

Remember to go back and tighten the shackle U bolts every once in a while...they will settle in and get loose!

NICE JOB!

Thanks for the tip on the U bolts, I figured I would check them after a few hundred miles. Will check them sooner now. I picked up the brackets from the welding shop last night. Once I get them primered and painted I will post pics.

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the finished product. I test drove today and at 5psi on the street you can't even tell the bags are there. I took four neighborhood speed humps at full speed (25-35mph) and still can't tell the bags are there. There is no significant effect on suspension travel that I can tell. I connected everything to the Wireless One Airlift compressor and put in an in-line schrader valve as an emergency backup if the compressor were ever to fail. I connected the "wakeup" wire on the compressor to one of the overhead AUX switches, this keeps the compressor "awake" whenever the switch is turned on. I ran the system up to 100psi, sprayed some soapy water to check for leaks, all good. I added some wire casing/tubing to the plastic air line in a couple places where it looks like it might get hit with tire spray...both on the air line and compressor wiring.

One note on the install, on my 2019 there is a bracket on the inside of the right side frame that holds some electrical connectors. In order to use the pre-existing holes in the frame this put my bolt right under this bracket. I just bent the bracket out by about 3/16" with a pry bar and cut my bolt off to be flush with the nut and it bolted up great. (However I did unbolt and remove the bracket when drilling to avoid hitting anything). See the photo below of this area.

One cool thing about this install is that the only irreversible thing is the 4 holes drilled on the inner aspect of the frame to mount the brackets (pre-existing holes used at outer box of the frame). If you removed the setup aside from these holes everything is completely reversible.

I will post my feedback when I get a chance to tow my trailer/racecar with the setup soon. Thanks again to @Renomaan for figuring out this solution!!

20190810_193053.jpg

20190810_193038.jpg

20190810_193025.jpg

20190810_153051.jpg

Last edited:

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what...it sags a little...I read thru this whole old thread and can't believe how much work people are doing to their truck to avoid a WDH....The Raptor is a truck you want to avoid air bags, not a WDH
1e2a2e6605da8b3442bf919ab1789a9f.jpg

It’s not just sag it helps, a properly adjusted WDH helps put pressure back on the front for steering and braking.... that’s the whole point. The above is a screen shot of a video I found when researching WDH’s. It’s not just making it ride level while towing it’s other benefits as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk