GEN 2 [GEN 2] Raptor, I expect to be a beast.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I dunno... I read the whole story on the bent-frame fiasco and I doubt I'll be in the same situation as those guys. Plus I don't plan on installing Dever springs or any other mods, so the truck should protect itself pretty well. Plus, I'm not the guy who is going to go balls-out in a $65k truck... I don't have THAT kinda cash!

@CoronaRaptor - I think they have added a special Sand Mode to the Terrain management that should address the issues of wheelspin in Sand. Hopefully this is enough to address this issue, but I also think the 10spd tranny will help a LOT. The shorter shift times and better ratio spread should allow the truck to maintain momentum better in these conditions.

Its not always about keeping wheel spin down but actually allowing for wheelspin. If youve ever driven in sand, mud, or snow sometimes you need wheelspin to keep your truck moving forward (sometimes you just gotta hammer it and chop that wheel!)

For example my wife and I run our dog in various wind swept prairies and in the middle of winter the trails get deeply crusted with hard packed snow. Her AWD Jeep Grand Cherokee even with traction control off and brand new Duratracs has failed her many times because when you start getting a bunch of wheelspin and start sliding even just a tiny bit the stability control (which you cannot turn off) takes over and starts stabbing at the brakes to "keep you going straight". When that happens it absolutely destroys your momentum because your brakes are being applied AND the motor cuts back to lower RPMS to try and let your tires gain traction again. There are plenty of times where you NEED the wheelspin and you NEED to get a little sideways to get through what youre trying to get through. Being able to turn those various systems COMPLETELY off is needed in a bunch of different offroad scenarios.

Hopefully Ford allows those systems to be turned off completely or hopefully the terrain modes address those systems accordingly for the terrain whether it be mud, snow, sand, etc.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is exactly what I wanted! I had a list of items on the first-gen trucks that I didn't like and they have pretty much fixed them all!

1) - Power and Torque: they have added more power AND increased the torque significantly, especially in the lower RPM range. This should greatly improve how well the truck digs out of sandy berms and should also prevent it bogging down in deep snow conditions. All the diesel guys will tell you that turbo+high compression equals ALL THE TORQUES!!

1b) - Oh, and that's the other thing... the 3.5EB is quite a bit lighter than the iron-block 6.2, which should improve handling quite a lot and take some of the load off the front suspension..

2) - 10spd Tranny: THIS is the biggest improvement. The old 6spd transmission shifted VERY slowly and made it hard to maintain engine revs in changing terrain (diving into a berm would kill speed, and the engine was left flat-footed because the tranny was too slow to react). I think this should dramatically improve how much you can get out of the truck. This should also help fuel economy a LOT by offering many more gears to optimize around. You should be able to get a much taller overdrive and a much shorter first gear. Should also help towing quite a lot!

3) - AWD transfer case: This should be AWESOME in the snow and ice as well as in the sand. The ability to run AWD mode in the winter, when you are driving on dry pavement most of the time but have the AWD safety net available when you need it is a real game changer in the snow belt! This should also save those rear tires from all that turbo-torque!! I'm looking forward to sliding this thing around like a giant rally car!

4) - Increased wheel travel and better shocks: no details have yet been released about wheel travel, but the larger shocks will be a welcome addition in the woops. This was an area where the Ram Runner had a big advantage, and hopefully these larger shocks and the increase in wheel travel will help out. Of course there's always room for improvement, but I'm excited for even more performance out of the box!

5) - Stronger frame: I am excite about this ONLY because it means the shocks can be better tuned. I was never worried about frame damage, but having a stiffer frame will allow even better shock tuning which means an even better on-road AND off-road ride quality.

Overall the truck looks fantastic and I think it offers just the right mix of new improvements. I never buy first-year vehicles as a matter of course, so once the second year production comes on line I'll place my order!

Anything else that you've seen that's got your excited?

More torque and hp is always good. Will the ecoboost be problem free? That's the big concern for me. The current 3.5 was and is still plagued with issues. The focus RS press cars are even having the same ol issues. Cross you fingers!

You say the engine is quite a bit lighter? How much lighter is it once you include all the accessories required to make the ecoboost work? Just curious.

The old 6 speed did have some horrid shift programming. But will the new 10 speed shift any better just because it's a 10 speed? If Ford couldn't figure out how to shift 6 gears how will they figure out how to shift 10?

If they haven't done any thing to fix the glass like IWE, the snow play in 4x4 will probably be pretty limited. Gotta think, all the hp AND torque low in the power band is going to really nuke the IWEs.

The shocks and travel should be a nice up grade. Hopefully Ford went performance biased on the tuning. What appears to be a lack of perch adjustability on the coil overs will be a major bummer if that's the case.

Stronger frame should be good. I think they're doing it more to support the aluminum body rather then the suspension.

I like the color line up the best.

OP
OP

2011SuperCrew

Reaction score
Its not always about keeping wheel spin down but actually allowing for wheelspin. If youve ever driven in sand, mud, or snow sometimes you need wheelspin to keep your truck moving forward (sometimes you just gotta hammer it and chop that wheel!)

For example my wife and I run our dog in various wind swept prairies and in the middle of winter the trails get deeply crusted with hard packed snow. Her AWD Jeep Grand Cherokee even with traction control off and brand new Duratracs has failed her many times because when you start getting a bunch of wheelspin and start sliding even just a tiny bit the stability control (which you cannot turn off) takes over and starts stabbing at the brakes to "keep you going straight". When that happens it absolutely destroys your momentum because your brakes are being applied AND the motor cuts back to lower RPMS to try and let your tires gain traction again. There are plenty of times where you NEED the wheelspin and you NEED to get a little sideways to get through what youre trying to get through. Being able to turn those various systems COMPLETELY off is needed in a bunch of different offroad scenarios.

Hopefully Ford allows those systems to be turned off completely or hopefully the terrain modes address those systems accordingly for the terrain whether it be mud, snow, sand, etc.

Yep! Totally agree... that was actually what I was trying to say.. The new Sand Mode should ALLOW a ton of wheel spin, not prevent it.

As for your wife's GC, are you aware that you can press-and hold the stability button for 7secs to disable it? As long as you are in 4HI and below 40mph it won't come back on. Also, there is supposedly a trick to totally disable it which I am not 100% sure works on Grand Cherokee's:

'07-Present Wrangler's Control System - ESP Off - Jp Magazine

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The biggest issue for guys driving hard is the rear drivers side shock mount. It's not the strongest in the world. RPG already has a new bumpstop kit for the 2015 F150 that moves the rear facing shock forward with a new top shock mount. It's pretty nice!

#whatareicons
Won't you be surprised when the new raptor frame is revealed and both shocks are mounted forward.... (I hope)
More torque and hp is always good. Will the ecoboost be problem free? That's the big concern for me. The current 3.5 was and is still plagued with issues. The focus RS press cars are even having the same ol issues. Cross you fingers!

You say the engine is quite a bit lighter? How much lighter is it once you include all the accessories required to make the ecoboost work? Just curious.

The old 6 speed did have some horrid shift programming. But will the new 10 speed shift any better just because it's a 10 speed? If Ford couldn't figure out how to shift 6 gears how will they figure out how to shift 10?

If they haven't done any thing to fix the glass like IWE, the snow play in 4x4 will probably be pretty limited. Gotta think, all the hp AND torque low in the power band is going to really nuke the IWEs.

The shocks and travel should be a nice up grade. Hopefully Ford went performance biased on the tuning. What appears to be a lack of perch adjustability on the coil overs will be a major bummer if that's the case.

Stronger frame should be good. I think they're doing it more to support the aluminum body rather then the suspension.

I like the color line up the best.
I agree. The IWE's will be toast!

Delta Lead
Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

www.runraptorrun.com

Last edited:
OP
OP

2011SuperCrew

Reaction score

Well, I'd say that in general, anything 'High Performance' is less reliable than its 'regular performance' counterpart. Will the HO EcoBoost (AKA EcoBeast) be as reliable as the 6.2? Probably not, simply because it has more moving parts... but would it be as reliable as the VooDoo V8 with its flat-plane crank and high-rpm power? Probably so! But no matter what, its always a risk with performance vehicles... the engineers try to get 105% out of them and sometimes they just go too far. That's what warranties are for.

I'm betting that even with all that stuff, its still quite a bit lighter... the turbo's and intercoolers don't add too much, and then 3.5L block is both aluminum, and a lot smaller than the 6.2, so I'd bet its lighter.

The technology in transmissions has taken HUGE leaps in the last few years due to MUCH faster TCU's and much higher hydraulic pressure in the trannies. Also, the old 6speed wasn't actually a 'new', the F-150 used the 6R80 transmission, which was based on the ZF 6HP26. That tranny was introduced in 2000 and was first used in the BMW 7-series!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_6HP26_transmission

The new 10speed transmission will benefit from more than 16 years of advancement in computer development, as well as recent advances in engine-transmission optimization. If you get a chance to drive a car with ZF's new 8Speed transmission in it, you'll be amazed at how FAST it shifts between gears and how smooth it is. If you bring this capability to something like the Raptor, the potential improvement in performance is mind-boggling!

I admit I don't know much about this issue, but a quick Google search tells me that its pretty common, so yes, I hope they fix it!

The body was never load-bearing on the F-150, so steel or aluminum, its not doing much to stiffen the chassis. The new aluminum body panels are likely stiffer (if only slightly) than the steel counterpart, but we'll never really know. You'd have to torque-test just the passenger-cell and no-one is going to do that! I will say that the crash-performance of the new truck is way better than the old one, so I bet they get additional stiffness as a side-benefit.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Won't you be sprouted when the new raptor frame is revealed and both shocks are mounted forward.... (I hope)

I agree. The IWE's will be toast!

Delta Lead
Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

www.runraptorrun.com

I hope they mount it forward. All the trucks we see out on the road have had them mounted rearward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ManfromSnowyRiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wont be perfect, and I expect issues. Probably should not being buying a first model year but I am. However I do expect it to be better then the Gen I. You left off gas mileage as well as a lot of unique things like the spot light mirrors, Push start, led lighting ect. A lot of cool new features. Also believe it may have adaptive cruise. I am buying it for its off-road prowess, but the fact it is also technology innovative is very cool.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've never been so pumped for a new truck. Im a lil bummed urge ruby red isn't available.

Status
Not open for further replies.