Gen 2 Front Wheel Bearings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you confirm the movement is in the hub itself and not the inner or outer tie rod?

Yep, once removed I saw it was definitely in the hub. It had some play compared to the driver's side one I had them replace(still good, but keeping as a backup with current supply chain issues). I think that my last trip to Moab, when I did White Rim Loop and nursed it back to location with cell service may have affected it. I had broken my sway bar end link and it ended up ripping my CV boot 50+ miles into the loop trail. Got it back to the hotel slowly, but at some point my front wheel went so far forward it hit and pushed my OEM bumper end/wing forward about 4-6 inches on the trail.

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you confirm the movement is in the hub itself and not the inner or outer tie rod?
Yep, I had them replace both, and the bad one had play in it vs the good one. My last Moab run doing White Rim Loop, when I busted the sway bar end link, which then ended up ripping my CV boot while I was running likely contributed to additional stress on the bearings that time. It was that same side.

@WillieFlo

What hub brand/model number are you going with? I found 2 motorcraft model numbers on advance’s website that appear corrected, but one is like double the price of the other.
Motorcraft HUB-437 JL3Z-1104-K was used on the driver's side. I didn't look to see if the passenger side had a different number.

Granelli

Reaction score
I am replacing both of mine at 80k. Drivers side was done last week, no play or gritty feeling spinning it. The passenger side has no play, and it wasn't until I removed the brake assembly that I was able to spin it (under vacuum/hubs disengaged) and hear/feel grinding. The faster I spin it, the louder it gets.

Not many hours in the dirt driving hard, but it has been driven like a toy on the street for 70k miles.