Gen 2 Blown Motor: Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyler_GTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I’m looking to possibly get some advice on how to proceed with my Gen 2 issue.

It had some serious engine knock along with the low oil pressure light. Took it in, and the dealer says it’s Rod Knock and they’ve ordered a completely new engine.

I had 20k miles.

However, I’m not sure how I feel about the dealer slapping a new long block in there and just assuming it will go smoothly. That’s a super involved process and I’m worried that I’ll be in store for months of little issues that come along with a new motor (electical, etc).

My question is how would y’all feel in this spot? Should I push for trading the raptor back in? Or am I being too concerned over a new motor and just be content...

My gut feeling is I’d like a new truck. Either a used one or build a 19. But I also don’t think the dealer is gonna work with me on that. I’m sure they are just going to want to follow procedure for engine replacement.

Thanks for any advice-This forum has been really helpful.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What can the dealer offer in trade? I'm sure they'd work with you on that. There's little procedural difference between trading in a vehicle they're working on versus one you drive up in.

If new truck minus trade in equals a number you're comfortable with, go for it.

And I don't blame you for being uneasy about a new engine. I'm always apprehensive about massive rework on any vehicle.

OP
OP
Tyler_GTS

Tyler_GTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What can the dealer offer in trade? I'm sure they'd work with you on that. There's little procedural difference between trading in a vehicle they're working on versus one you drive up in.

If new truck minus trade in equals a number you're comfortable with, go for it.

And I don't blame you for being uneasy about a new engine. I'm always apprehensive about massive rework on any vehicle.

I haven’t gotten that far, as to what they’d work on a trade. I guess I just wanted to see what other’s thoughts were before I started down that road.

Appreciate the advice. I’m heading to the dealer tomorrow morning to talk and for my loaner. They’ve got a couple new/used on the lot but nothing spec’d like I want (orange interior).

I’ll update then.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t gotten that far, as to what they’d work on a trade. I guess I just wanted to see what other’s thoughts were before I started down that road.

Appreciate the advice. I’m heading to the dealer tomorrow morning to talk and for my loaner. They’ve got a couple new/used on the lot but nothing spec’d like I want (orange interior).

I’ll update then.

Certainly doesn't hurt to ask, and obviously don't come across as overly interested, as they'll low-ball you otherwise.

And you're probably aware, but the '19s don't come with the orange interior anymore. I was a bit bummed, because that was on the top of my order list. The blue isn't bad though.

Oh, and as Quaesta asked, do you know the cause of the blown engine?

OP
OP
Tyler_GTS

Tyler_GTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They haven’t really told me a cause. Just that it’s Rod Knock and they’ve ordered a new motor from Ford.

I kinda knew going into it that it was a bad motor. The knock that it had and the low oil pressure, it wasn’t going to end well.

The truck was perfect until then-not one single issue.

OP
OP
Tyler_GTS

Tyler_GTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Certainly doesn't hurt to ask, and obviously don't come across as overly interested, as they'll low-ball you otherwise.

And you're probably aware, but the '19s don't come with the orange interior anymore. I was a bit bummed, because that was on the top of my order list. The blue isn't bad though.

Oh, and as Quaesta asked, do you know the cause of the blown engine?

If I did the 19’ I’d definitely do the blue interior. But your right, kinda bummed there no orange.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would let them replace the engine and move on. You are getting a new zero mile engine covered under warranty for free (I assume). They aren't going to let you drive a new 19 off without paying the difference anyway. If you want to pay up for a 19 sure you can ask, but I wouldn't expect much.

OP
OP
Tyler_GTS

Tyler_GTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would let them replace the engine and move on. You are getting a new zero mile engine covered under warranty for free (I assume). They aren't going to let you drive a new 19 off without paying the difference anyway. If you want to pay up for a 19 sure you can ask, but I wouldn't expect much.

That’s definitely one way to look at getting a new motor.

I don’t expect any special treatment on a 2019, but maybe just a KBB offer and I’d only owe a few thousand for a new one? I’m really not sure, that’s kinda why I’m just trying to layout options.

BajaLaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s a ‘17 your looking around 58k for it. So you’ll be putting in 10k for a new one.