Gen 2 at the Beach

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very cool. My wife wants to go to Asateg Maryland and look for shells. So we plan on doing that and driving on the beach. You all have any tips for driving on the beach? Like lower tire pressure or sand mode or just drive and not worry about it?
I’ve never aired down, normally run in 2wd and when it start to get hairy go to 4wd, try to keep it moving, When in doubt, throttle out!

Last edited:

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve never aired down, normally run in 2wd and when it start to get hairy go to 4wd, try to keep it moving, When in doubt, throttle out!
Exactly how I handled the situation. I bought my truck and 3 days later I was on the beach with it. With this being my first truck I knew/know nothing of off roading so I went 2wd TC off and put the go pedal down and got it to 60mph......then I tried out the famous Baja mode and learned What it was about. Tried 4H as well but it didn't go as well when I tried to figure 8. Sand was never deep enough for it to be an issue in my experience

Rednose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First time on the sand?
I’d recommend air down to 15 and use 4low, take it easy, no sharp turns, stay out of the wet sand or take the risk of finding rotten sand. And get a tow strap in case you need it.
And never park and turn the truck off below the high tide line...

Raptor is a beast in the sand but learn first before you become the joke of YouTube!

Approved for the majority of the post but not the part that talks about using 4low specially for the first time, 4low might get you in trouble if the sand was soft the fast spinning of the tires in soft sand might make dig yourself in. It all depends on your style of driving not saying the 4 low is bad but every scenario and terrain are different.
I only use 4low when I am stuck.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Approved for the majority of the post but not the part that talks about using 4low specially for the first time, 4low might get you in trouble if the sand was soft the fast spinning of the tires in soft sand might make dig yourself in. It all depends on your style of driving not saying the 4 low is bad but every scenario and terrain are different.
I only use 4low when I am stuck.
This is a good point. There are those that drive through/on the sand slow and carefully to get where they are trying to go, and then there are those where the sand is the destination and it’s about spinning tires and pretending that small beach is your Baja 1000 haha

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Very nice Raptor Smurf! I see you have a couple of traction boards tied down in your bed. I was wondering how to tie down the boards I just got myself. I might have to look at doing something similar.

Sure - I added D-ring tie downs to the bed bolts, so I have 6x attach points. One of the early adopters - apologies, I forgot who - also turned me on to these tie down straps. He was using them ... allegedly... for his spare tire but you could tie down an Asian Elephant with them. The trumpeting will get to you after a few minutes though.

I use 2 tie down straps through the traction board ‘handle’ slots.
It’s not just good... It’s good ENOUGH

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heading to the beach shortly. guess no one really bothers to air down.

Got an automatic viar 400 to air up anyhow

Cornwallis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also may head to the beach this weekend in Pismo. Seems like there's no point in airing down, especially where I'll be going. I also have a Viar just in case I change my mind about airing down.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the OBX thing yesterday. Truck handled the beach like a champ, no airing down required. Saw so many Raptors out there and even more Fraptors, got to teach my girlfriend 'how to spot a real Raptor 101' :D

Also if you were in a RR Raptor, here's a shot of your ride with the horsies.

received_1155506168181774.jpeg

received_292299808641182.jpeg

20200702_160304.jpg

Last edited: