Gen 2 at Hungry Valley OHV Park - Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was off work Thursday and decided to have a little fun in the Raptor. The off-road park was empty, except for a few guys I met that came together, including another 2017 Raptor. The other guys had a Tundra and a Tacoma. It was a great day! The Raptor felt great and no one had any mechanical issues. This is the third time I've taken it off-roading since I picked it up in April. It off-roads so well and is solid and confidence inspiring. No squeaks or rattles yet. I love having fun in this truck. The attached vid is about 7 min of having fun (and good practice to learn my new video software). Hope you enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BV2UJj8pA4

Ran into another Raptor at the end of the day and took a pic of the group.

Attachments

• 20171102_151909.jpg
    20171102_151909.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 86

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance you could post a map showing where that Baja section was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey CFIT, I just looked at google maps and we jumped into the sand wash that runs parallel to Pipeline Rd at Smiths Fork Campground (but it looks like you could get into the wash much earlier at Honey Valley Campground, right by the hill that I was playing on at the beginning of the vid) then took pipeline road down around the south end of the park, then turned around and came back on Pipeline Rd. to Pronghorn Trail (sand wash) and went up the canyon and stayed left at the main fork. It actually provided quite a bit of "Baja" type run time. Very fun, but I would be wary of running at any speed on a weekend when there are lots of people in the park. The runs we were on were pretty easy to see if others were ahead, but it would also be a good idea to have a lead vehicle clear the sections just to be safe. Cheers!

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good to see Raptors in the dirt. Nice video too.

Have you been to Anza-Borrego Desert State Park (and Ocotillo Wells) yet?

OP
OP
G

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, forgot to mention that it was the first time I went off-roading since installing my new husky wheel-well liners. They worked great! All the sound from rocks pinging my back wheel wells is now gone. A much better experience! No rubbing that I could see either. Between my PDP mud flaps and the new wheel liners, rock and sand noise is pretty minimal, and I feel the truck is much more protected.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Good to see Raptors in the dirt. Nice video too.

Have you been to Anza-Borrego Desert State Park (and Ocotillo Wells) yet?

I've gone camping down there on a few occasions before I got the Raptor. I'm looking forward to going back with the new truck! The trails seem endless!

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also, forgot to mention that it was the first time I went off-roading since installing my new husky wheel-well liners. They worked great! All the sound from rocks pinging my back wheel wells is now gone. A much better experience! No rubbing that I could see either. Between my PDP mud flaps and the new wheel liners, rock and sand noise is pretty minimal, and I feel the truck is much more protected.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

The trails seem endless!

They are!

Anza-Borrego Desert State Park: http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/638/files/ABDSPmap.pdf

Ocotillo Wells:

OcotilloWells-WideMap.jpg

http://www.californiatrailmap.com/TrailFinder/Ocotillo-Wells-State-Vehicular-Recreation-Area/

Last edited:

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey CFIT, I just looked at google maps and we jumped into the sand wash that runs parallel to Pipeline Rd at Smiths Fork Campground (but it looks like you could get into the wash much earlier at Honey Valley Campground, right by the hill that I was playing on at the beginning of the vid) then took pipeline road down around the south end of the park, then turned around and came back on Pipeline Rd. to Pronghorn Trail (sand wash) and went up the canyon and stayed left at the main fork. It actually provided quite a bit of "Baja" type run time. Very fun, but I would be wary of running at any speed on a weekend when there are lots of people in the park. The runs we were on were pretty easy to see if others were ahead, but it would also be a good idea to have a lead vehicle clear the sections just to be safe. Cheers!

Awesome. Thanks for the details! I’ve been dirt biking there a few times, but haven’t been exploring up there with the Raptor yet. I live close by, so it should be easy to make a midweek trip to avoid the crowds. What I’d really like to find is some good dunes not too far from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk