Gen 1 to Gen 2 coilover conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12svtr

Reaction score
The Gen 2 has about 2” more of travel in the front than our Gen 1s. I want to use the Camburg coilover buckets for a Gen 2 and put them on my Gen 1 and then use a Gen 2 3.0 King as well. Has anyone else done this to achieve the extra 2” of travel?

Augster

Reaction score
From what I understand, it's only about 1" additional travel with the G2's over the G1's, which to realize fully, you need conversion buckets, such as the Camburg's you've mentioned.

I'm heavily leaning the same way: KHC buckets and King G2 3.0's. BUT will see if King can install G1/heavier rated springs since I'm assuming it's heavier rated than the G2 springs, which I believe we would need that heavier spring for out heavier 6.2 steel bodies. I also have 200 pounds of winch and will be topping it with a Whipple and maybe an ADC Venom Winch bumper (100 pounds).

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a Gen 1 with factory tire and wheel. Shock, swaybar, and tie rod disconnected. At full stuff it contacts the wheel well. If you get more uptravel how will you clearance the wheel well?

Attachments

• 20220221_190752.jpg
    20220221_190752.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 22

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a Gen 1 with factory tire and wheel. Shock, swaybar, and tie rod disconnected. At full stuff it contacts the wheel well. If you get more uptravel how will you clearance the wheel well?
Fiberwex fenders? I myself don't think it's worth the hassle to convert to G2 shocks, better off getting better shocks and suspension that is designed for a gen 1. I think if you get rid of the front axles you get more travel as well. I think I read that on RPG's website at one time.

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did KHC shock buckets and gen 2 Kings over the weekend. Info in my build thread starting at post 77. As you can gather from the discussion this 2" of perceived gained travel wasn't really the appeal of the mod for me, but more of parts availability. I've had Gen 1 Fox 3.0's on order since Black Friday, with no real good ship estimate in site where I was able to pick up Gen 2 Kings down the road. Also the discussion alludes toward any travel gains would likely be bump travel as @TomDirt suggested.

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like my hunt for Deavers. " They're due in tomorrow, unfortunately today our driver was hit by a bus"

Yep, I waited 3 and half months for Deavers last year. With Fox I thought maybe 3 months when I placed the order. First ship date was supposed to fall on the 4 month mark, then 4 and a half, then 6. After that I realized 'oh, they're just arbitrarily pulling dates out of their ass'.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like my hunt for Deavers. " They're due in tomorrow, unfortunately today our driver was hit by a bus"
That can happen, yesterday I was heading to the movies and took the drive by the beach on the way, was met with a detour with cops and an ambulance as there was a person laying on there back, in the middle of the rooad, feet up, covered in a blanket, obviously run over by a car. Wake up call, hate seeing that crap.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Back in the '90's, when I lived in Los Feliz, (near Hollywood), I was driving on the freeway around sunrise on Jan 1st, and remember seeing a CHP car stopped, lights flashing, and a body under a tarp in front of him. Wasn't until later I recalled this was directly under a pedestrian overpass, and considering all those details, that had most likely been a suicide.