Gen 1 (2012) making odd "clatter/rattle over rough pavement (video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hwycycle

Reaction score
I’m going to say something in the suspension or a mount (trans/motor). With either scenario, the weight of the bad component is greater than the force you’re applying. I’ve found a multiple issues using a GoPro mounted under the vehicle.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The IWE can make some odd intermittent grinding and/or metallic sounds when it’s going it. See if the sound is any different with 4-High engaged vs. not. I chased a sound for a while and it was my IWE partially failed which made the hub lock/unlock partially and grind the teeth down.

dc1gator

Reaction score
Sure sounds like an exhaust system noise. Very funny so probably not anything serious. Check catalytic converter also. Please follow up when you find the source. I noticed your name is William Perry. I had to laugh because I know William (The Fridge) Perry from Aiken, SC.

OP
OP
William S Perry
Reaction score
Sure sounds like an exhaust system noise. Very funny so probably not anything serious. Check catalytic converter also. Please follow up when you find the source. I noticed your name is William Perry. I had to laugh because I know William (The Fridge) Perry from Aiken, SC.

HAHA, when he was playing I had a job where my name came up alot and I used to hear that constantly, I'd tell everyone, "yeah, he's the fridge, I'm more the thermos"

It sounds exactly like it would if it was the exhaust, but that all seems ok

OP
OP
William S Perry
Reaction score
x2 on the IWE, mine did the exact same noise. It was a failing actuator, was it cold outside? I found that made it worse

It does go into 4 high and low and doesn't affect the noise as I would think it would if that were the case, but will be checking both of those out this week

OP
OP
William S Perry
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a couple of rattles. One closer to the mic and one farther. Is the closer one your keys? The more prominent rattle sounds similar to what I had in my 2012. Ended up being the front shock. Replaced with the new Fox 3.0 and my rattle was gone.

C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha yeah the keys are the other "clatter" you are hearing. I couldn't get the phone any further away from them. Someone else suggested a cracked coil. The suspension seems like a likely candidate and wouldn't be found by me banging on it

OP
OP
William S Perry
Reaction score
I’m going to say something in the suspension or a mount (trans/motor). With either scenario, the weight of the bad component is greater than the force you’re applying. I’ve found a multiple issues using a GoPro mounted under the vehicle.

Agreed on all that. Thought about fastening my phone underneath (SECURELY).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc