GEN 2 Gear Indicators disappear sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcmiked97

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I notice sometimes that the gear indicators in the cluster completely disappear while I'm driving. In standard drive mode, no paddle shifting to lock out gears or anything. This has happened a couple times, and when I notice, I just pull the + paddle shifter and the gears appear again.

Has anyone else seen this? Am I accidentally hiding the indicators somehow?

Sken

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I notice sometimes that the gear indicators in the cluster completely disappear while I'm driving. In standard drive mode, no paddle shifting to lock out gears or anything. This has happened a couple times, and when I notice, I just pull the + paddle shifter and the gears appear again.

Has anyone else seen this? Am I accidentally hiding the indicators somehow?

Had the same issue till I realized it was from me pressing the +\- on the shifter itself. Try that should solve the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schmagagled

Reaction score
A tap of the paddle will turn them on and off too

I prefer not to see the gears

Ah so you're the guy that engineering must have been thinking about when they decided to enable that functionality.

I for one, have never figured out why when you have an instrument panel with a dedicated display location for gear indication, and said indication is the only display (other than the selectable center section) that can be turned off by (usually inadvertently) pressing the +/- buttons, that anybody would want to actually do that on purpose.

This has been a mystery to me since owning my 2011 XLT (and then my 2015 Lariat). After about a year of ownership my 2011 had to go in for some sort of programming at the dealership and when I got it back the gear indication was turned on permanently, and pressing +/- did not affect whether or not the display disappeared, which suited me fine. No idea how they did that with IDS or if it was intentional.

But I only wish now there was a way using FORSCAN that I could make my gear indicator on my 2018 802A stay on permanently since I do occasionally glance down and notice that I have accidentally turned it off with the gear shift button.

Again, the gear indicator has a dedicated place on the panel. Turning it off doesn't seem to reduce any "clutter" of any of the other indications displayed, so I'm not sure I see the point of being able to shut it off in the first place.

S.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Preference. I like it, the wife doesn't. She turns it off on my half the time plus that I notice it is off.