Fuel Door Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svt_ivan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel Door and Cargo/Third brake light

So, took my truck to the dealership yesterday to have some things checked up on. Driver seat heater not working, fuel door became loose, and third brake light LEDs are not working. Got a call today from the dealership saying that the warranty will not cover the fuel door and the cargo brake light but they will cover the seat warmer with the $100 deductible. My question is has anybody had a similar problem with their fuel door, and how was it fixed?

D

Deleted member 12951

So, took my truck to the dealership yesterday to have some things checked up on. Driver seat heater not working, fuel door became loose, and third brake light LEDs are not working. Got a call today from the dealership saying that the warranty will not cover the fuel door and the cargo brake light but they will cover the seat warmer with the $100 deductible. My question is has anybody had a similar problem with their fuel door, and how was it fixed?

What warranty did NOT cover those other two items?

svt_ivan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
Factory 3yr/36 warranty? If so, curious what their reasoning behind it not being a warranty issue?

I called the 800 cuss-tomer service number, was told that even though I purchased the 100K mile extended warranty, the fuel door was a "COSMETIC" item and therefore not covered. (She said it would have been covered under the factory 36K mile warranty). I requested to escalate this was curtly told there was not escalation and that was the final answer. I also told that cosmetic meant subject to normal wear and tear.

When I spoke to the dealership, they indicated the item would be in the $250 range to replace/repair.

I had seen the fuel door spring fix article over a year ago, but I am not a contortionist (6' 240 lbs) and I was unable to get my hands into the places they needed to be to get the door spring clips to release the housing.

Not happy with FORD over this one - this is a common problem that they won't own up to.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I called the 800 cuss-tomer service number, was told that even though I purchased the 100K mile extended warranty, the fuel door was a "COSMETIC" item and therefore not covered. (She said it would have been covered under the factory 36K mile warranty). I requested to escalate this was curtly told there was not escalation and that was the final answer. I also told that cosmetic meant subject to normal wear and tear.

When I spoke to the dealership, they indicated the item would be in the $250 range to replace/repair.

I had seen the fuel door spring fix article over a year ago, but I am not a contortionist (6' 240 lbs) and I was unable to get my hands into the places they needed to be to get the door spring clips to release the housing.

Not happy with FORD over this one - this is a common problem that they won't own up to.
I agree that something like this should be covered. It's a poor design and an easy fix. Getting the door assembly off is a bitch, but it's doable. You don't have anybody who can give you a hand?

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Where are you located? Maybe another member can help?

Gumart1

Reaction score
I'm lucky to have small hands. Took time but the housing eventually came off. I followed the tutorial along with a youtube video. I made sure to put a small screw at the bottom of the hinge pin so it will not come loose again. It's been flawless since.

I recommend getting it fixed as soon as possible. I waited and got a P0456 code; most likely from dust getting into the capless fuel system while driving with a loose housing cover.

My problem now is that I still get the code, after I did the clean out procedure with the plastic filler neck and some compressed air. CEL was off for 5k miles after disconnecting battery and now back on for the 3rd time.