Front end clunking only when running off road.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So 3K on the clock for my SCREW and I finally took it on a decent run from Ocotillo Wells to Superstition about 55 miles round trip. What I experienced was the notorious "clunk" from what seemed the drivers side front area at the same time I noticed some fade in the front shocks, at about 10-12 miles in a whooped out road. We stopped and took about a 1 hour break during which I hopped under the front and tried putting my hands on anything that I thought could potentially be the culprit. Everything was visually ok and I didn't throw any wrenches on. Well after the break we ran around Superstition for the next couple of hours with stops in between without any clunking. Then on the way back to Ocotillo we powered through and right at about Pole line is when the clunk returned until we hit the road. On the road there was no clunking at all and we drove 18 or so miles into Borrego Springs. The next morning I took it out and ran some trails with moderate whoops just to double check my theory and everything was quiet and functioning properly. I had the clunking in both 4wd and 2wd and it felt like it was coming up through the steering wheel. Do I have a bad set of shocks or is this normal for Fox bypasses or am I completely off target here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hackleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine used to do that. I think if you tighten the lower shock bolts (blue) it will go away. im not sure how tight to get them. I think ford says 411 ft/lbs but i had a guy with a snapon 1/2" electric impact crank on mine for 10 seconds or so. If you search the forum there will b several threads about this. I am assuming you have stock shocks.