GEN 1 Front drive shaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been up on the mountain a lot this fall hunting elk and came across this old picture from a 2018 Elk hunt. Has anyone seen this happen on their Gen 1?
I Will give you the honest story after I hear some input.
INPUT,INPUT,INPUT......I'm dying to hear the story...you didnt run over Bigfoot,did you?:chewie::driver:

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to guess you were in 4 lo when this happened but I don't recall this being reported by anyone on FRF in the past.

OP
OP
wyomingraptor

wyomingraptor

Reaction score
I’ve been up on the mountain a lot this fall hunting elk and came across this old picture from a 2018 Elk hunt. Has anyone seen this happen on their Gen 1?
I Will give you the honest story after I hear some input.
I was hoping someone else twisted off their
drive shaft and how they did it.
Old friend and my self on third day of elk hunting. 10 inches of snow And about 15F with the damn wind blowing like usual. NO tire chains and stock BFG tires. We were out very early looking for tracks And snow was picking up some.
A lot of wet snow was getting packed in the wheel wells and froze up there. Then the fog rolled in real bad. We drove to a good spot up on a hill to wait it out.
Coffee donuts and a lot of bull sh..ing like usual. Dam snow and the wind is blowing harder. Good time for a nap until the fog lifts…
The heat from the engine melted the ice and it flowed around the tire and rim and froze the wheel to the brake rotors!
After our nap the visibility was still 30 ft. We decided to give it up and go to camper and find some lunch.
Raptor wouldn’t budge. 4h and not moving. Let’s see if the 4L works? I gave it some gas nothing wild and felt a bump.
Nothing was even alarming. The back tire are spinning. Interesting! Finally got the front wheels to turn now.
18 inches of snow and 3ft drifts. We dug out the front tires and saw the drive shaft. We were about 4-5 miles to camp.
By now the interstate was closed and the hope of some driving by was very slim. Now we are out of coffee and resolved ourselves to spending the night.
Heated seats, Sirius radio and an old friend it was ok.
20 hours froze to the ground a guy in a chained up Dodge gave us a ride to camp. We chained up another pick up and kept on hunting till the interstate opened up the next day.
I ordered a drive shaft on the mountain so it was waiting for me. Week later I came back and put a propane heater by the wheel and warmed it up to remove the tire. there was a perfect block of ice on the rotor. Thawed it out and Chained up the back tires and my buddy helped drag it out.
I am disappointed how easy it twisted off. I really hope they beefed things up on my Raptor R.

I need to get dinner going so I can go elk hunting. I want to get out of town before the highways close. Thanks for listening to me tale. Brian

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing..WOW..!
Never stuck in Mts..but been in one if those mid west white outs on interstate..semis in ditches like little toys...finally made it to exit,pulled into gas station to sleep overnight and my front grill had 5" of ice on it...pulled it off in one piece..a perfect ice grill..!
Mother nature always wins..
Happy T Day everyone..!