GEN 1 Front diff service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys, when it warms up i think I’ll tackle this. With the twisting and turning it takes to get the thing out, how is it to reinstall with rtv sealant on? I’m worried about scrapping it off trying to finagle it back on. Is there an alternative to rtv? Maybe some sort of dry gasket? I haven’t done a search yet but even with the rear i end up getting that crap all over my self

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wear gloves and patience :)

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys, when it warms up i think I’ll tackle this. With the twisting and turning it takes to get the thing out, how is it to reinstall with rtv sealant on? I’m worried about scrapping it off trying to finagle it back on. Is there an alternative to rtv? Maybe some sort of dry gasket? I haven’t done a search yet but even with the rear i end up getting that crap all over my self

Lubelocker gasket.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D0165F58-3CCC-4CF2-8D28-B306D06EDB67.jpeg

Its a messy job for sure. I didn’t have a hard time at all getting it back on, but many report it’s quite difficult. I just used sealant (can’t remember what it was) instead of a gasket because that’s what I had on hand.
D0165F58-3CCC-4CF2-8D28-B306D06EDB67.jpeg

EmbDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 161868

Its a messy job for sure. I didn’t have a hard time at all getting it back on, but many report it’s quite difficult. I just used sealant (can’t remember what it was) instead of a gasket because that’s what I had on hand.
View attachment 161868

This is what happens when you don;t have a drip pan and do not want to get your garage floor covered in gear oil.....or just likes being coved in oil, kinda like a *************

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't remove the cover, I pump the old fluid out with a fluid pump.
Done it that way three times with good success.
I replaced the factory plug with a magnetic plug that works like a champ.

Silver2Raptor

Reaction score
This might sound like a crazy idea but skip all that take a wet/dry vac suck all that old stuff out with some kind of straw thing then filler back up with new diff juice and Timing fluid, hack way more easier unless you have to change filter not have yet to change , but you think I’ll stop that clinking in 4x4 hi when turning the wheel you let me know

03svt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remove the cover, I pump the old fluid out with a fluid pump.
Done it that way three times with good success.
I replaced the factory plug with a magnetic plug that works like a champ.
Which plug did you get ?

D

Deleted member 17706

Mine has a slow leak so i need to pull the cover and re-seal

Its not bad a job at all. A few bolts are hard to get to, but if you have different size hand ratchets, you’ll be good. I took the cover off, blasted the diff off with brake part cleaner, I like to get all the wear metals and old fluid out of there, and put the cover back on. Anybody that says you can’t take the cover off doesn’t know what they are talking about.