Forscan adaptor help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLJ

Reaction score
Hi, Everyone! I ran into aforscan adaptor issue and wondering if anyone else has had my issue. I have a windows 10 surface pro with usb 3.0. I have OHP Elmconfig adaptor everything worked good for the first connection on my Raptor then kabooom!! Forscan settings froze and adaptor not found as well. Also, Now my surface pro wont even read/accept the adaptor but will read other usb devices plugged in. Ohp adaptor will work on other computers. Ohp support says it's the USB 3.0 on surface pro's. Sound familiar anybody?? I'm thinking of using my Samsung galaxy 10 instead to make changes. Will the OBDLINK EX adaptor work with Surface Pro? Thanks for the input anything will help!!

Last edited:

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely try pulling down the new drivers. You'll probably have to force Windows to use the downloaded drivers over the Windows default. How familiar are you Device Manager and Microsoft Management Console?

OP
OP
BLJ

BLJ

Reaction score
Definitely try pulling down the new drivers. You'll probably have to force Windows to use the downloaded drivers over the Windows default. How familiar are you Device Manager and Microsoft Management Console?
I'm, pretty familiar with device manager. Forcing my puter to use a driver not so much.

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm, pretty familiar with device manager. Forcing my puter to use a driver not so much.
Lol.... you'll essentially need to go into device manager, find the OHP Elmconfig adapter under the USB devices, then remove and re-add the the device, manually mapping back to the driver file you want it to use. I am on my work PC at the moment, and its locked down, so can't get to device manger to describe the steps in more precise detail at the moment.

I have the same adapter, by the way. I run Win10 with all the latest Windows patches, but my laptop itself is supper old (a Dell Precision m4600 from ~2012). The good thing about an old PC is support for legacy hardware like this. If you have an old PC laying around, you might try using that instead.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I used a surface pro to do my updates.

Delete your drivers and reinstall. should be golden. if you dont know how to delete drivers, find another device and start from scratch.

OP
OP
BLJ

BLJ

Reaction score
Lol.... you'll essentially need to go into device manager, find the OHP Elmconfig adapter under the USB devices, then remove and re-add the the device, manually mapping back to the driver file you want it to use. I am on my work PC at the moment, and its locked down, so can't get to device manger to describe the steps in more precise detail at the moment.

I have the same adapter, by the way. I run Win10 with all the latest Windows patches, but my laptop itself is supper old (a Dell Precision m4600 from ~2012). The good thing about an old PC is support for legacy hardware like this. If you have an old PC laying around, you might try using that instead.
The device wont even show up on puter to do that. I think all I have left to do us buy a regular laptop. I have the obdlinks ex coming tomorrow. I'm going to try that b4 I buy another puter. THANK YOU for all the help!!

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unplug the device, open the Device Manager, and then plug in the device. Does the Device Manager screen flash/update at all? Anything new appear, most likely in the "Ports (COM & LPT)" section?, but possibly in any other section? If the screen never flashes, it's not recognizing the device. If it does flash, something is appearing somewhere, and you just need to find it!