Ford TSR Letter re: Sync 3, APIM Hardware - 2nd APIM, Frustrated!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's likely going to be up to you to document this is something other than an Apple issue.

CarPlay was rock solid up until a week ago when the USB ports inexplicably stopped working for about 30 minutes. Shut the truck down and they started working again. No issues since. I had a Genesis G80 which had all kinds of CarPlay issues. I agree, it's not fully baked at times.

OP
OP
solsurfr

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 3.0 19205 for a while, and - knock wood - did not experience the CarPlay disconnect / fault you’re describing. Full disclosure: within the first few weeks after I bough the 2017 I had the sync screen go completely dark on me after starting up- this was on 2.2 I think. It never happened again and there was no phone involved.

Also I’m not a CarPlay fan, nor do I really care for the implementation. That said, once in a while I use CarPlay for waze.

Right now I’m running sync 3.4 but ... I did not do the firmware update.

I'm not a huge fan of CarPlay either but I like it better than the Sync interface. Both are distracting, at least to me, but I do use Waze and Spotify quite a bit. It's puzzling to me as to why my APIM says that it needs an upgrade and yet the Dealer Tech didn't think to just upgrade the firmware as, which I'm assuming, is what it is calling for? Maybe it's not compatible with Sync 3.0?

I think to drive this to resolution you may need to prod the stealership a bit. Ask them to clarify if there is actually a known incompatibility with the iPhone x or if it is just that there wasn’t full validation between iPhone x and your firmware / 3.0-19205.

If it’s an incompatibility, what specifically is it?

I will certainly ask this question to them. Knowing my dealer service dept, they will chalk this up to my phone if it's causing the rebooting and try to move me on past this which I won't accept since I'm a CarPlay user.

When you say I often get no gps on my nav screen - do you mean after the random reboot, it comes up with no gps OR, do you disconnect the phone after the reboot and get this? looking for more specificity. If it restarts, comes back and says no gps with your phone still connected, what happens when you disconnect the phone?

There are a number of reasons this might happen. table exceeded, memory leak, etc.

Most, if not all, of the time, I get the NO GPS icon when I start the truck with my phone already connected to the USB dock. When that happens, CarPlay doesn't automatically come on either. This behavior doesn't change even after I undock my phone and re-dock. It also happens when I dock my phone for the first time after I start the truck. I would say it happens 75% of them time on start-up with the phone docked.

You are right to be nervous. Never modify when you have a known problem. Years ago we had a user throw a tune on a truck that had misfire condition. Guess what? it didn’t improve by adding mods on top of a system with an actual problem. Don’t be that guy.
You have a bug, corrupted software, corrupted firmware or possibly bad hardware. Upgrading until or unless you run this to ground may have unpredictable results and you may not know or find out the results for seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks or months.

Great advice, thank you.

OP
OP
solsurfr

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of documented issues with CarPlay not working with various car manufacturers. I had a similar issue with my old Audi.

I would agree with ford that the issue is with Apple to a degree.

1. Verify you have an Apple cable or certified Apple cable when connecting your phone.
2. Verify you have the latest OS.

if it was a firmware of the APIM, there would be a lot more issues. Most car play problems are cable related or os related.

if you are up to date on the os, and you’re using an Apple cable. I would lean to a bad APIM.

So yes and yes. I'm using an Apple certified cable (the one that came with my iPhone 11 Pro) and I'm on the latest software v13.3.1

I also think I've got another bad APIM.