GEN 2 First oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All major manufactures are moving to 10k oil changes. Maybe these companies need to come talk to you since you obviously know a lot more than all their engineers do.

Exactly! What possible incentive do manufacturers have to lengthen the time between oil changes???? Do they want their engines to explode at 100k miles so that everyone needs to buy a new car?

Of course not! They err on the side of safety. And that usually means change the oil every 7500-10000 miles. Could probably easily go to 15k miles with full synthetic.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soooooo what oil y'all using? Brand and type?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sgtdevildog

Reaction score
How many miles is break-in. Called my dealership and they said 500 miles. The '17 is ready for whatever you use yours for. Thoughts input ?

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I think your response is one of the dumbest I have heard. Almost as stupid as those who do their first change at 500 miles and then every 2000 miles with full synthetic. You idiots make these decisions on pure fairytales.

I have a 100,000 mile warranty and never keep any vehicle that long anyway. Come to think of it, I may not change my oil EVER!

And, the second owner will hate you for it when it shows up at the shop with issues. That's your choice though.

All major manufactures are moving to 10k oil changes. Maybe these companies need to come talk to you since you obviously know a lot more than all their engineers do.

Unless you work on vehicles for a living, I'd be willing to be I have more experience with overdue oil services than you, and what happens to engines because of it.

Don't worry, though. Just do what you think is best. I know you won't listen to experience, only engineers. They are never wrong.

Wait, you must be an engineer then lolololol :biggrin:

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And, the second owner will hate you for it when it shows up at the shop with issues. That's your choice though.

Unless you work on vehicles for a living, I'd be willing to be I have more experience with overdue oil services than you, and what happens to engines because of it.

Don't worry, though. Just do what you think is best. I know you won't listen to experience, only engineers. They are never wrong.

Who cares if the 2nd owner hates you?

And why does anyone care about how often someone else changes their oil?

I used to do it religiously every 3k miles, but oil technology has come along way. Yes, driving style and environment do factor into oil change intervals, but oil (especially synthetic and synthetic blends like what come in the truck) takes a lot of heat cycles to break down (in a clean lab environment they can last 100k miles +). It's the additives that break down. These additives are what help extend the effective life of the engine oil by isolating contaminants. Most newer blends are easily good for 20k to 30k miles. 10k mile intervals is sufficient for most drivers. If you tow or run the engine hard for extended periods or you are running hard in the desert every weekend, 5k is a better choice.

Either way who cares if someone wants to change their oil every 20k miles or every 500 miles? How does their choice impact you in any way?

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I never claimed to know anything about the science of engine lubrication, but when it comes to whose advice to follow, paranoid conspiracy theorists on an internet forum, or the engineers that designed my truck, I'm sticking with the engineers.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
In this thread:

- Change your oil at 500, no, 1500, no 2000, no wait, 5000, no that's not it...10000...
- Manuals are stupid and are just a book of mistakes by engineers who are mistaken
- A car mechanic knows more about the engine than the engineers who designed it
- The ONE guy who says he will follow what the manual says is called dumb

I work on airplanes for a living...I guess I should disregard the maintenance manual and service intervals because engineers 'make mistakes'.

f39d158195af4aba9122c6bf501193ebcd1ce884aeadf08735.jpg

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:rubs temples:

What I'm saying is, engineers make mistakes. They aren't perfect. If they were and designed things perfectly, nothing would ever break, right?

Manufacturers who pay for maintenance sometimes side with economics vs. what the vehicle needs and how long the warranty is. If you can't comprehend that, then I guess you'll never get what I'm saying.

This is a car that followed (loosely) followed manufacturer guidelines.
And this is typically what we see when we pull engines apart for sludge/failures.

And, another picture of an owner's engine that changed it at 1/2 the value (7500 miles) and has more miles.

You can be the judge. It's your truck not mine.

n52 sludge.jpg

n62.jpg

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:rubs temples:

What I'm saying is, engineers make mistakes. They aren't perfect. If they were and designed things perfectly, nothing would ever break, right?

Manufacturers who pay for maintenance sometimes side with economics vs. what the vehicle needs and how long the warranty is. If you can't comprehend that, then I guess you'll never get what I'm saying.

This is a car that followed (loosely) followed manufacturer guidelines.
And this is typically what we see when we pull engines apart for sludge/failures.

And, another picture of an owner's engine that changed it at 1/2 the value (7500 miles) and has more miles.

You can be the judge. It's your truck not mine.

lol so you are saying the more love we give the truck or any other car the better chance it has at many years and miles of service? i know there are "hangover builds" and other issues. but i like to feel like i give my truck and car the good stuff, and they give me good reliability. i gave had one vehicle on a tow truck since 2010. that was when my 05 fl150 blew a plug so i may be doing something right. lol