Fender (bumper) bender. $7500 fix it or no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventure

Reaction score
I think my Raptor knew it's headed for a trade. (If I could fid the right 350 Tremor on the ground it probably would have been gone already.). I literally had posted it on CL eight hours previous when my 15yo son was practice driving for his test this Friday and slid into a Buick sedan. Looks like nothing, but two body shop estimates have the entire bumper, one headlight, and the driver side bezel being replaced. One's at $6700 and the other is at $7500.

Looking for advice. At $500 deductible should I: 1. just get it fixed to like new and trade it? Don't like this because it will take longer and I'll be out of vehicle for the fix. 2. Cash out on the insurance and trade as-is? Or 3. try to sell as-is assuming someone might want a screaming deal on a rig they might want to put an aftermarket desert style bumper on anyway. The headlight seems good except a crack in the bottom might let moisture in. That kind of savings buys a lot of bumpers and lights.

TIA for your thoughts.

IMG_3659.JPG

IMG_3673.JPG

IMG_3680.JPG

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fix it and then sell/trade. I would never buy a "damaged" Raptor in the hopes of a screaming deal or otherwise. I'd be too worried about what else needs repaired once tore into it. You are out $500.00.

Don't let your burning desire to get the Tremor cloud your judgement on this one.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agree with above, get it fixed for $500 bucks, you'll lose more than that on a trade/sell, more like $5000 loss.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you pop the bezel back in? Looks like the bumper could be adjusted look a bit better as well and I don't see any damage to the light..

Most of these body shops over quote and then the insurance company is going to shoot it down and get used parts. It's kinda useless these days to even get a body shop quote..

If it were my truck, I'd fix it myself

D

Deleted member 17706

You can typically find a bumper on Craigslist for $200-500—some forum
members will give you one for free (see above). Pop the front valance by the headlight back in and move on. You would be a fool to drive up to a dealership and/or sell it yourself significantly discounted when you can fix all of that yourself for a lot less than $7500. I probably wouldn’t file a claim.

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tough call. I think you need more info before you make a decision. What will a dealer give you on trade as is? Can you pop some of that back together so it doesn't look terrible, and then get a few bids? Also, your insurance is about to skyrocket...might be worth going ahead with the claim, pocketing the cash the insurance adjuster says it'll take to fix it, and hopefully the delta between the cash and the diminished trade value (if any) will be large enough to offset the rate change you're about to see. I'd get as much info about all 3 options first.