Engine cut off after hard cornering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anybody help quickly diagnose the problem of my engine cutting out:

Went offroading last night and after about 45mins of hard driving - mostly sideways.
I got in a section with very soft gravel and the truck appeared to have "no power on traction" and reduced power. I couldn't tell right away what the cause was, my intital reaction was traction control acting up, felt a bit like gas cutting out. ( traction control was turned off)
As soon as I got to section with good traction the engine sounded like crap and seemed to be running on only have half the cylinders.

Drove onto pavement and the power issue to be gone all the sudden. Continued to drive it on street for about 5 minutes doing hard accelerations etc - all fine. Then decided to drift at an on-ramp to the highway and the engine cut out smack in the middle of the turn. Advance track went from disabled to enabled and electric power on instrument cluster appeared to go off for a split second. From this point the engine sounded like running on 4 cylinders again and any throttle / acceleration would induce heavy vibrations in the rear end.
This time I got a blinking orange engine symbol in the dashboard - but no other messages. The issue continued until I decided to stop - after that everything was back to normal.

Attempted one more hard corner and this time during the cornering I saw a brake warning pop up for a split second on the info screen.

Tire pressure was at 28PSI and advance track turned off. I think I read somewhere that when tire pressure is low traction control still runs - is this correct? Not sure if it were the rear brakes acting up from trying to control my endless drifting or something wrong with the fuel / power delievery during hard cornering.

Would greatly welcome any insight on this issue. Hoping to find a quick fix and go out again today....

OP
OP
Glo

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually just tried starting the truck and all power is gone - battery drained... has to be electrical.

EDIT: Fixed - Battery terminal was loose

Last edited:

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like unmetered air getting in. Check the intake system looking for loose clamp. Do you have a aftermarket air intake system?

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Actually just tried starting the truck and all power is gone - battery drained... has to be electrical.

EDIT: Fixed - Battery terminal was loose

Same thing happened to me buddy. Started losing power to several systems slowly on the road then pulled off and had 2 loose battery terminals. Had just had my battery replaced at my ford dealership. At the dealership the quicklane manager holds my keys up and says "your alarm system won't let the truck start". I say oh wonder what you guys did and then take the keys walk out in the shop. Turn the key and don't even get accessories! Nope not the alarm! 5 shop workers are standing around the front with the hood open and I say let's see what's what and get out. Oh lookie here! The negative battery terminal isn't connected! Numb nuts! I took the wrench out of one guys hand and retightened it, got in my truck, started it and walked off and said there you go

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Happened to me and Bdrag on the '11 when she was still fairly low miles. Never did figure that one out. Hopefully it will go away like ours did.

OP
OP
Glo

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like unmetered air getting in. Check the intake system looking for loose clamp. Do you have a aftermarket air intake system?

That was one of my first thoughts too. Especially after the engine started coming back to live all the sudden - as if there was a blockage of airflow - or no fuel. Turns out it was just the electrical power cutting out.

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

Same thing happened to me buddy. .....

et out. Oh lookie here! The negative battery terminal isn't connected! Numb nuts! I took the wrench out of one guys hand and retightened it, got in my truck, started it and walked off and said there you go...

Unfortunately the entire blame lies on me...was playing around with a new light bar and didn't properly tighten everything...wish I could blame somebody else! WHat really threw me off was the extreme shudderring of the rear axle on the highway - felt like a bent axle or something along the lines of a drivetrain issue...

Happened to me and Bdrag on the '11 when she was still fairly low miles. Never did figure that one out. Hopefully it will go away like ours did.

Yeah - hope nothing along those lines will ever happen to me again - I am usually out in the desert by myself and would hate to get stranded - at least this was an easy fix!

OP
OP
Glo

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good battery choice

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Very happy with the battery purchase especially after reading here on the forums that it is a rebadged Odessey...however I can't believe the battery terminal got loose again today...some trail...I think I need to either start working out ( because my tight isn't enough) or find a better way to mount that battery in spot - I am starting to wonder if it keeps banging all over the place...