Driving from Atlanta, GA to Boston, MA-- Info?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In August I am moving to Boston for college. Looks like I will be driving the Raptor and all my shit.

Any special routes to take?
Anyone done a similar trek?
Ive never driven further than 6 hours... Special provisions?
ANYWHERE TO STOP AND OFF ROAD OR ANY SITES TO SEE?

Thanks,

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Once you get to 95N/ Jersey Tpk area make sure it's in the middle of the night. You don't want to try to cross the George Washington Bridge in NYC except from 12a-5a otherwise you would wait for hours. My record is 3 hours in gridlock around 4pm.

Also, use cruise control only if you don't feel tired, 75 is a reasonable speed through Maryland, Jersey, NY, Connecticut and MA. Once on the Mass Pike 80 will feel slow.

You will cross Connecticut diagonally so that tiny little state takes about 2.5 hours to get across and it's hell on earth.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Yall aint from around here are ya?

I have been driving from ATL/SAV/AVL->Maine almost every summer of my life so if you have any questions feel free to ask. How long are you looking to take? Do you have friends you can visit on the way?

Some things that come to mind...
-DO NOT SPEED in VA, or use a radar detector you want to keep (5 over is ok) I haven't lost a detector personally but I have a friend who had to drive over his own $400 Valentine1.
-If you get tired, PULL OVER Redbull, coke and black tar ****** can only work for so long, you will start to dream while your awake which can lead to all sorts of non moving objects or if your really unlucky on-coming traffic.
-CBs can be informative (cops, traffic, hot chicks) humorous (unfortunately for you more so in the south) and just a good way to pass the time. I highly suggest picking one up. Plus, they are handy when wheeling with buddies spotters etc. If you want something installed I'd go with the cobra C75 or if you'd rather go portable midland makes one that will convert into an in-car. Either way, you need some sort of external antenna, can be a magnet that you can easily take off, hard mount, quick release etc. otherwise you will only generally hear what is directly around you which greatly reduces the chances of hearing about bears (cops) in time.

Click Pic for link to where to get best price I could find quickly...
Cobra- LOVE these units...

Midland - Neat "convertible" unit
the-midland-75-822-small-cb-radio-brand-new-w-mods_140268453229.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
xBX

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That means you better get to Florida before you leave and work the shox!

Swoop, I will be in Florida for the first two weeks of June. Can we make a date? I wont stand you up, I promise hahaha. :waytogo:

Thanks for the tips. Maybe a CB is just what I need.

I dont have any friends along that route. And I am doing the drive alone so I can do pretty much anything. Im guessing if I can drive 10-12 hours a day it should take me 2 days.

I wonder if it pays just to ship the car?... For 900 miles, I will have to fill up probably 3-4 times which will be 350-450 dollars.

Anyone know how much shipping cars are?

OP
OP
xBX

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yall aint from around here are ya?

I have been driving from ATL/SAV/AVL->Maine almost every summer of my life so if you have any questions feel free to ask. How long are you looking to take? Do you have friends you can visit on the way?

Some things that come to mind...
-DO NOT SPEED in VA, or use a radar detector you want to keep (5 over is ok) I haven't lost a detector personally but I have a friend who had to drive over his own $400 Valentine1.
-If you get tired, PULL OVER Redbull, coke and black tar ****** can only work for so long, you will start to dream while your awake which can lead to all sorts of non moving objects or if your really unlucky on-coming traffic.
-CBs can be informative (cops, traffic, hot chicks) humorous (unfortunately for you more so in the south) and just a good way to pass the time. I highly suggest picking one up. Plus, they are handy when wheeling with buddies spotters etc. If you want something installed I'd go with the cobra C75 or if you'd rather go portable midland makes one that will convert into an in-car. Either way, you need some sort of external antenna, can be a magnet that you can easily take off, hard mount, quick release etc. otherwise you will only generally hear what is directly around you which greatly reduces the chances of hearing about bears (cops) in time.

Click Pic for link to where to get best price I could find quickly...
Cobra- LOVE these units...

Midland - Neat "convertible" unit

Have any pictures of your CB mount? And the Antenna..?