Drive mode not avaialable"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This popped up today. And it wont shift drive modes of course. Any ideas before i book it in?

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
My passenger side broke off at the same spot. Wire began to hang and axle damaged it. Being repaired right now. I don't believe it should be in a knot like that. And, if the cable goes bad, your shocks will go to full stiffness and you will lose your drive modes. With such a weak connection to the shock, I would check often.

Check the sensor cables that go to both of your front shocks. They should be attached to the bottom portion of the shock. They should also not be in a knot like the pic above. My passenger one broke off at the shock mount and the wire began to rub on the half shaft which went to bare metal and then shorted out. Covered by warranty, but others on here here have had similar issues of it breaking off, so it might be similar for you. No fun with the suspension being stiff and no drive modes.
shock.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can’t see any wire issues. Anyone know which fuse is the “ mode control “

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the sensor cables that go to both of your front shocks. They should be attached to the bottom portion of the shock. They should also not be in a knot like the pic above. My passenger one broke off at the shock mount and the wire began to rub on the half shaft which went to bare metal and then shorted out. Covered by warranty, but others on here here have had similar issues of it breaking off, so it might be similar for you. No fun with the suspension being stiff and no drive modes.
View attachment 393880
Just had the same issue and mine rubbed raw on the half shaft

OP
OP
G

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They fixed mine but didn’t say what it was other than a shock wire. I’ll have to get under and see if anything is close

Reaction score
Seems to be most likely caused by the shock height position sensors. Once the shocks are "out of scope" of where they should be on normal ride height they kick out the drive modes. The position sensors on the front are exposed and has a little arm with a ballhead that can pop off. Also the sensors themselves can go out. I got this from trying to calibrate the level in Forscan with to much weight in the bed.

If you have Forscan you can run the shock diagnostics and see if one of the levels are way out whack and even bounce the truck while running the program and make sure all the sensors are operational. Otherwise, you'll have to take it in to the dealership.

OP
OP
G

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
going in....again ! if there a way to not have the shocks at full stiff while waiting to go in for service?

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
going in....again ! if there a way to not have the shocks at full stiff while waiting to go in for service?
if you have forscan do a ride height recal. if not, try putting it in ET (engineering and test mode)--find a level surface, put the car in neutral and then hit the m (manual button) while the truck is on. turn the vehicle off. then hit the start button with your foot off the gas so it doesnt start, then immediately floor the gas pedal 3x and you should see an ET symbol pop up in the bottom right corner of the dash. let it sit a few sec and you should be good to go (assuming you dont have a ***** wire to some of the other posters points above). I had this happen to me in the last month after a small jump. when i restarted the truck a bit later, the notification came up and my suspension was full stiff. immediately did ET and when i restarted the truck next the problem was gone.