dougs cutout problem :/

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lexmotorsports goodguy

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
unfortunately, the people selling these products fail to mention what others have mentioned in this thread. Every cutout on the market requires lubrication, and regular lubrication at that.
I was told by quicktime performance another manufacturer, that the combination of heat, moisture and carbon in the exhaust is the cause of these "sticking" problems.

but man these sound cool!

robnfl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unfortunately, the people selling these products fail to mention what others have mentioned in this thread. Every cutout on the market requires lubrication, and regular lubrication at that.
I was told by quicktime performance another manufacturer, that the combination of heat, moisture and carbon in the exhaust is the cause of these "sticking" problems.

but man these sound cool!

I agree they do sound good, but I have to disagree that the cause of their malfunctioning is heat, moisture and carbon in the exhaust. I agree that this is the environment that any exhaust system component is subjected to, but lubrication alone isn't the answer if the components corrode as bad as mine did within 2 weeks. This shows me that the manufacturer, for whatever reason, did not design the part properly, to withstand the intended operating environment.

lexmotorsports goodguy

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I agree they do sound good, but I have to disagree that the cause of their malfunctioning is heat, moisture and carbon in the exhaust. I agree that this is the environment that any exhaust system component is subjected to, but lubrication alone isn't the answer if the components corrode as bad as mine did within 2 weeks. This shows me that the manufacturer, for whatever reason, did not design the part properly, to withstand the intended operating environment.

possibly with that manufacturer, I have only dealt with quick time performance,
might be worth looking at their product.

never know a little lube to hurt anything though. :ROFLJest:

Performance :: Exhaust Systems :: Quick Time Performance 2.5 Electric Exhaust Cutouts

R@pt0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Doug's cutout has been replaced twice. The first lasted about two weeks before the motor fried. The second lasted about a day before the gears stripped. The third has been good for over a month so far. Agree with the lubrication. Shoot it with some WD40 when you wash the truck. Ordered mine from Summit. Great service, no problems returning it.

mkelly984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Doug's cutout for a couple months and had all the same problems, said screw it and bought a qtp cutout from stainless works. I've had mine on for a little over a year now and haven't had a single issue with it. The Doug's cutout seemed like a good idea with the protected self cleaning gate but in this case is seems the simpler idea is way more effective.

R@pt0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doug's cutout broken again

About three months ago I ordered a Doug's Cutout and Y pipe. Two weeks later the cutout motor quit working. I contacted Summit Racing and they sent a new one. The new one worked for a day before the gears stripped. Again Summit sent me a new one. The new cutout was installed for about two weeks, then the truck sat for two months. Now the cutout is broken again. Seems like the motor again. Summit is going to refund my money this time.

Two takeaways here. First, Summit's customer service is outstanding. Second, the Doug's cutout just isn't reliable. One breaking, no problem, but three? Be warned.

Soldier64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of people here used cutouts when the Raptor came out but, in my opinion, they have not been used much by this community. Thanks though!