Door rattle and wheel hop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crashthepunisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my first truck now for about two weeks, 600 miles, and I'm really pleased with it. The only things I would change if I could is a driver's side door rattle and what I believe is described as wheel hop, I think just with the front wheels but not sure.

On certain bumps, the door just seems to make a little rattle as if it's not completely tight. I've seen Randy's post regarding beefing up the door seals by pulling surgical tubing through. I might eventually do this, but I'm wondering if you think this is more likely to be solved by an adjustment of the door latch? I haven't looked at it closely, but I'm not sure how it can be adjusted, and don't want to screw it up worse. To the Ford Techs, any tips, or should I just take it in to the dealer? Not crazy about leaving the truck for a day and possibly getting it back without any change ("we don't hear anything"), but if that's what needs to be done, I'll do it.

On the "wheel hop", it just feels like the suspension kind of vibrates over smaller bumps. I don't notice it, even when I floor it over a speed hump, but in Oklahoma our roads suck ass with potholes everywhere, so it sometimes feels like the tires are just bouncing up and down a few times after those smallish bumps, kind of loose feeling. Is this just to be expected. Is there a sure, relatively inexpensive suspension fix to solve this or make it significantly better?

Fordx4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheel hop is when you are doing a burnout or hard launch in a car and it alternates from having traction and losing it. That is a bad thing and you can easily break something. I think what you are experiencing is just from the Raptors more soft suspension.

OP
OP
Crashthepunisher

Crashthepunisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, okay. It does seem like the suspension is really soft on big bumps, but It seems stiff on the small ones and then the short vibration. Thanks.

Banned
Reaction score
Just hit the small ones faster an you won't even feel them! Problem solved haha.

-Posted with my iPhone.

OP
OP
Crashthepunisher

Crashthepunisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll do that 6.2, not a big deal. The door rattle is what's going to bug me. I was hoping a tech could give me the 411 on a 10 minute adjustment of the latch, but I may have to take it in. I do have a young pro mechanic living across the street with his parents. Maybe I'll have him come take a look.

Raptor62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the front door open and the rear door closed, try to rattle it and see if there is any play. If there isn't, then adjusting the latch on the front door should take care of it.

Spider-One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had play in both rear doors of my SCAB causing door rattles over everything. Brought it to the dealer and had it done under warranty. Not a peep out of the doors afterwards, nice to see a dealer do it right the first time for a change. Driving a lot of gravel roads makes for an annoying ride with door rattles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter