Does tire rotation require re-balance and front end alignment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Ok, on my 2000 F150 4x4 I rotated my tires @ 5,000 miles and then pushed them to 7,500 miles and then finally @10,000 miles.

Since that worked I've stuck with 10,000 miles and maybe I've been lucky but so far I haven't noticed any unusual tire wear and got 60,000 miles out of my original BFG KO all terrain tire and still had a few thousand more miles left on them.

I did 10,000 miles on my 2014 also with a different tire up to 48,000 miles with no issues.

Currently have 7,000 miles on my Raptor and will probably rotate them @ 10,000 miles.

Proper air pressure is key I believe and as long as you know you haven't smacked into a curb hard or really abused it off-road then maybe 10,000 is fine.

The only thing I could find on rotation was this:
SmartSelect_20190820-130342_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

But I do have a question about rotation:

The way the manual shows the rotation as above the two front tires when rotated would then have the radial running in the opposite direction which after I inquired about this many places stated that's not good for a radial.

Most places stated that the preferred method is font to back to keep the radial running in the same direction.

I'm not a tire expert by any means but is sounds like that might have some merit to that logic.

What say ye?

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, on my 2000 F150 4x4 I rotated my tires @ 5,000 miles and then pushed them to 7,500 miles and then finally @10,000 miles.

Since that worked I've stuck with 10,000 miles and maybe I've been lucky but so far I haven't noticed any unusual tire wear and got 60,000 miles out of my original BFG KO all terrain tire and still had a few thousand more miles left on them.

I did 10,000 miles on my 2014 also with a different tire up to 48,000 miles with no issues.

Currently have 7,000 miles on my Raptor and will probably rotate them @ 10,000 miles.

Proper air pressure is key I believe and as long as you know you haven't smacked into a curb hard or really abused it off-road then maybe 10,000 is fine.

The only thing I could find on rotation was this:
View attachment 128037

But I do have a question about rotation:

The way the manual shows the rotation as above the two front tires when rotated would then have the radial running in the opposite direction which after I inquired about this many places stated that's not good for a radial.

Most places stated that the preferred method is font to back to keep the radial running in the same direction.

I'm not a tire expert by any means but is sounds like that might have some merit to that logic.

What say ye?

Our tires are not directional radials. You can run them either way.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I have had shops rotate tires and not do anything. I now mark the inside tire sidewalls with white crayon or chaulk "LF" & "RF" on at least the front 2 tires. EZ to do, just turn the front wheels lock to lock, reach over and mark em.

Last time it happened was at the local Toyota Stealership for the free 10,000 mile maintenance which included tire rotation (Highlander). Too bad we cannot trust service shops to do what they say they are going to do!

Swamp Fox

Reaction score
You guys are missing the boat by not using balance beads. They get put in once for the life of the tire.
I must be an old fart because I had never heard of balance beads either. Thanks for mentioning it. After I read up on it and watched a video they sound like a good thing for tires 35" and up. My local shop does not usually deal with balance beads but said they would put them in but I will have to order them since they do not stock them. To order I need to know much weight of balance beads to put in each tire?

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
he dealer told me that balancing and alignment are not necessary,

your dealer is an idiot.

1st that they don't have the equipment to balance the tires,

this is actually common. many dealer just sub this work out to a dedicated tire shop. just takes longer for the work to get done since the vehicle has to be driven to the shop doing work. Who wants a porter driving their vehicle.

2nd the alignment is factory set and the raptor never needs an alignment due to the sophisticated suspension system it has.

LOL...this is just funny. Especially because of the raptors suspension it needs alignments. big wheels create a lot ov leverage to tweak the angles. Who ever told you that is just stupid.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
..a half hour later they handed me a detailed report with the specs and measurements for a dozen parameters all in spec.

I asked how much the damage would be... no charge since no adjustments were made!

that is my experience when dealing with a good tire shop. they will check for free, and only charge if needed.

Last edited:

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score

What say ye?

We do not have directional tires.

https://www.lesschwab.com/article/what-are-directional-tires.html

So you are free to switch sides (which is better for them)

When I do my rotation, the spare goes to the right rear.......follow the guide from there.....the left front becomes the spare

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I have had shops rotate tires and not do anything. I now mark the inside tire sidewalls with white crayon or chaulk "LF" & "RF" on at least the front 2 tires. EZ to do, just turn the front wheels lock to lock, reach over and mark em.

Last time it happened was at the local Toyota Stealership for the free 10,000 mile maintenance which included tire rotation (Highlander). Too bad we cannot trust service shops to do what they say they are going to do!

I do that too!