Does tire rotation require re-balance and front end alignment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squrtcap

Reaction score
As a 4x4 owner for 45 years, rebalance and realign at rotation is only needed when you are feeling wheel wobble or pulling to side before you rotate. I also do the rotation first myself and then road test the vehicle to at least 70mph checking for changes.
My dealer wanted to even charge me for rotations on my new Gen2, when the first three oil changes and rotations where supposed to be free. They dropped the charge off on the second oil change/rotation, but as others have said, from now on I will do my own rotations, nothing like knowing your brakes and tires, the most important safeties on your Raptor.

NDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently wore out my first set of tires (52,000 miles) and after replacing with a new set of KO2s the tire shop suggested I should have them check the alignment. I took it back to them a few weeks later to do so (didn’t have time at the initial appointment) and patiently waited for the pain of a costly alignment.
Lo and behold...a half hour later they handed me a detailed report with the specs and measurements for a dozen parameters all in spec.

I asked how much the damage would be... no charge since no adjustments were made!

I was super impressed with the tire shop and equally with the truck holding its alignment after a lot of moderate abuse (extensive quail hunting on NM oil roads, rock and trails in MT, and a few accidental airborne launches).

Definitely don’t need alignment with each rotation!

Larry Prater

Reaction score
I just took mine in at Legacy Ford, where I purchased it, and they rotated my tires when they changed the oil. They did not mention balance or alignment. I suspect you got ripped off.

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotation? Definitely! Balance? Maybe, if it is vibrating or pulling. Alignment? If it's still pulling after a rebalance, then yes, alignment should be checked.

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a 4x4 owner for 45 years, rebalance and realign at rotation is only needed when you are feeling wheel wobble or pulling to side before you rotate. I also do the rotation first myself and then road test the vehicle to at least 70mph checking for changes.
My dealer wanted to even charge me for rotations on my new Gen2, when the first three oil changes and rotations where supposed to be free. They dropped the charge off on the second oil change/rotation, but as others have said, from now on I will do my own rotations, nothing like knowing your brakes and tires, the most important safeties on your Raptor.

I always rotate the tires in all my vehicles at 5,000 mile intervals. Keeps the tread wearing evenly and my tires las a long time. Rebalance only when pulling or vibrating. Align only if the rebalance doesn't solve the pulling.

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some tires need more balancing as they wear down than other tires. I always tell the dealer to skip the rotation and have Discount Tire do it. They balance and reset the TPMS so the tire is in the correct location on the display. In the 15-20 mins it takes them, well worth not doing it myself. Get an alignment when you need one.

Last edited:

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
You guys are missing the boat by not using balance beads. They get put in once for the life of the tire.

Beads suck for an off road vehicle. Every bump moves them and they take a few revs to get balanced again.

500mag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2018 with 37 inch KM3s and have them rotated every oil change, which is every 5K mi. I've never had to have them rebalanced. BTW, they are the best tire I've ever had.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beads suck for an off road vehicle. Every bump moves them and they take a few revs to get balanced again.
Kahuna...your experience might be different than mine. The beads work great for me, and I do drive off the beaten path a lot.

The only issue that I occasionally have is that the beads sometimes clog up the TPMS. They unclog themselves once I come to a stop.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my 18 Raptor back from the dealer (13k miles) and I asked for oil change and tire rotation. They claim the Raptor requires the tires to be re-balanced and a front end alignment. Gave me a song and dance about how expensive the tires were and then presented me with a $500 bill! Two of those and I can buy a new set of tires! Is this true? I've never heard of such a thing unless there was uneven wear. Sounds like a dealer trying to overcharge for anything they can. Thanks!!
Did you pre-authoeize them doing that work or did they call you for approval? If not, dont pay it. That is ridiculous! What Stealership was this?