Does a Raptor "Really Need" 4-Low and a "Rock Crawl" Terrain Mode??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
We’re starting to think that you are actually a modern day bedouin, living only in rocky terrain with whatever you can carry in the bed of the Raptor.

Still campaigning those KM3’s, and they look to be holding up quite nicely. Not aired down this time?
33psi, I may have lost a bead at 20 on some of those rocks? Flying Solo thats a major concern for me. I'm to Old and Jacked now, to many MFING Surgeries :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
We’re starting to think that you are actually a modern day bedouin, living only in rocky terrain with whatever you can carry in the bed of the Raptor.

Still campaigning those KM3’s, and they look to be holding up quite nicely. Not aired down this time?
That's my life...Drive in Rocks and Sand...Hike in Rocks and Sand...Drive in Rocks and Sand...Hike in Rocks and Sand... Repeat...Repeat...:head3::head3::head3:

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
33psi, I may have lost a bead at 20 on some of those rocks? Flying Solo thats a major concern for me. I'm to Old and Jacked now, to many MFING Surgeries :(
I find 26 ish is a good compromise pressure where I am worried about my beads on misc rocks. Also, where the trail opens up, I can carry speed all day at that pressure and it is low enough that washboard/potholes smooth out. Anywhere in the 24-28 is a good all around sweet spot I find. I am not in sand at all... or would go lower.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the original question, you might not need 4L, but I do. I don't need to use it often, but when I do, there is no substitute - other than trying to use momentum to bash over obstacles or carry speed up really steep pitches.

I have no complaints about the rock crawl drive mode. I'm in a '19 with live valves and I find that terrain mode is good for the purpose. I never think to use the crawl control or whatever it is called - the low speed cruise control. I don't have anything against it, I literally never think to use it when faced with tricky spots.

Granted, I spend a lot of time in the steep coastal mountains of BC - so lots of steep, rocky sections to navigate. Sometimes, I'll get out the truck to check my line and realize the walking is pretty tricky - the truck is just so composed in those situations.

YA7WLYrlN-Zb0CKSuK5Ge2JnkrZ6k_l=s949-no?authuser=0.jpg

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
As far as the original question, you might not need 4L, but I do. I don't need to use it often, but when I do, there is no substitute - other than trying to use momentum to bash over obstacles or carry speed up really steep pitches.

I have no complaints about the rock crawl drive mode. I'm in a '19 with live valves and I find that terrain mode is good for the purpose. I never think to use the crawl control or whatever it is called - the low speed cruise control. I don't have anything against it, I literally never think to use it when faced with tricky spots.

Granted, I spend a lot of time in the steep coastal mountains of BC - so lots of steep, rocky sections to navigate. Sometimes, I'll get out the truck to check my line and realize the walking is pretty tricky - the truck is just so composed in those situations.

View attachment 326304
It is an amazing beast. I always find myself in 4-Low in the Rocks and Sand of the Desert. The Trail Control I have actually used and it’s saved my azzz on one occasion when I was about to slide off a ridge to a very painful landing. It’s kind of fun, takes the skill out of Roading, all you’re left to do is pick the line. I have yet to try it for escaping mud or sand. There is a cool YouTube video using the Trail-Control to get a buried Raptor out of the sand. I told the Raptor Assault folks that’s the one thing I thought would be a great addition to the class. Just Demonstrating it once for the class.
If your Emperor ever sets y’all free come on down to the Desert with @CoronaRaptor

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find 26 ish is a good compromise pressure where I am worried about my beads on misc rocks. Also, where the trail opens up, I can carry speed all day at that pressure and it is low enough that washboard/potholes smooth out. Anywhere in the 24-28 is a good all around sweet spot I find. I am not in sand at all... or would go lower.

Same. 26psi