DIY - Stock Raptor 2.5 Shock Rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason kitch

Reaction score
i installed the ifp and seated to the snap ring with air, pressed the ifp down approx 4-6mm ( measureing off of wood dowel), I added 575ml of oil to the shock. when threading down the cap oil is flowing out before I get the thread started

What am i doing wrong

TIA

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i installed the ifp and seated to the snap ring with air, pressed the ifp down approx 4-6mm ( measureing off of wood dowel), I added 575ml of oil to the shock. when threading down the cap oil is flowing out before I get the thread started

What am i doing wrong

TIA
Nothing, unless you're losing like 500ml of the oil! You will lose some, but better than having air in the shock, make sure the bleeders are open...

Jason kitch

Reaction score
thank you, I watched the video and didn't see any fluid running out, short of the bleeders. Checking to maker sure Im on the right track.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a while and I'm re-reading the instructions but yes it's messy and you're going to have excess fluid, that's ok, it'll displace the air as it should. Good luck!!

FORDGURU

Reaction score
Make sure to like and follow our crazy gang on the ROC Facebook: and Instagram

This thread is for those who wish to rebuild their FOX 2.5 Stock Raptor shocks on their own.

Usual disclaimers myself and the ROC team are not a company nor are we FOX certified techs. Rebuild DIY was a community effort from several members to benefit us as a community as a whole.

Tool needed

- 8 MM Socket (for spring hat removal)
- 17 MM socket
- 19 MM Socket
- Spring Compressor (recommend wall mount but if not available harbor fright works, just be EXTREMELY cautious.)
- Clean work surface
- Vice
- Measuring Container - something that can do over 800 ML or 4 cups[/URL]]
- Lots of clean towels
- Wooden dowel about 16 inches long
- Small Allen key
- Medium Allen key
- Long pick tool - 16 inches lone
- Several small picks

Additional Items
- Nitrogen Fill-Adaptor (Schrader Valve) - [ORDER HERE]
- Race Tech Pin Spanner 4.0- [ORDER HERE]
- 2 Grade 8 bolts to be used for spanner 1/4 24 bolts
- Fox JM92 Advanced Suspension Fluid - [ORDER HERE]
- Nitrogen Tank
- Gauge / Valve that is capable for 250 PSI. (We used a 300)
- Shrader valve air chuck (IE tire chuck)

Rebuild Items
- Front Shock Seal Kits - [ORDER HERE]
- Rear Shock Seal Kits - [ORDER HERE]

Custom Tools
- 3/8 by 24 thread bolt with extension and T about 9 inches long
- 1/4 by 20 thread bolt with extension and T about 4 inches long

Parts you may need to order cause of damage or not able to repair
- New front or rear screw cap (What Fox calls the cap that holds the bleeder screws and seals) $35
- Rubber Pellet - $1
- Bleeder Screw - $2
- Bleeder Ball - $2
- New shock guard rear - $20
** Prices do not include shipping which from fox is $10 flat so order a few things**

Detailed check lists

Front Shock detailed PDF download here

Rear Shock detailed PDF download here

Cost to do the rebuild
If you add it all the tools needed to do the work you looking close to $400-500 for one shock. The best scenario is to get a bunch of members together like I did and all chip in to get the tools.Then the cost one time cost is spread equality. The process to do the work is the same for 2.5s and even 3.0s. Only different is the look but the process is the same.

Build note
- Screw cap bleeder screws - CLEAN out any dirt from the alan screw before trying to remove. Alan key need to be deep or you will strip the screw. If you strip a screw and only have 1 bleeder you are still ok. If none work you need a new cap.
- Rubber pelts for charging can be used a few time as long as the needle stays pristine. If you have to poke the needle more than 5 times you run risk of needing a new one.
- Always remember to reassemble the screw caps onto the pistons before pouring fluid into the shock body.
- Use a bio-degrable de-greaer to clean all the shocks and internals. Harbor freight or any auto parts store flavor works.
- When removing your shocks, use a paint pen to mark the hat how it aligns to the nitrogen charge port. This is so when you put the hat back on you align it correctly. 2010 Screw Raptors have a different alignment we have found to any other Raptor.

Spring cap number if needing to be replaced - AL3Z18A099A CAP (FORD)

Raptor Owners
For those owners in NorCal and Northern Nevada, you are welcome to contact me or a ROC member and we can figure out a time and way for you to lean how to build shocks. This was a community effort and we wish to keep it that way.

Shock Exchange program:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f9/raptor-community-stock-2-5-shock-rebuild-exchange-program-44733/

Video overview on how to rebuild Raptor 2.5 Shocks.
Great info

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if the gen 2 OEM non live valve shocks use the same procedure to rebuild? I searched the gen 2 forum but seems like those guys don't do any work themselves. All i found is "where should i take my shocks to rebuild". I have a guy here that wants his rebuilt but i'm a little reluctant without much info out there. This thread and forum made the 2.5s a lot easier and less stressful for me.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone know if the gen 2 OEM non live valve shocks use the same procedure to rebuild? I searched the gen 2 forum but seems like those guys don't do any work themselves. All i found is "where should i take my shocks to rebuild". I have a guy here that wants his rebuilt but i'm a little reluctant without much info out there. This thread and forum made the 2.5s a lot easier and less stressful for me.
Pretty much. Construction is fairly similar, although the parts are larger and you'll need more fluid.