DIY: Fuel Can Painting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I happened to come across of fuel cans that weren't being utilized. I got to thinking of what i could do to make them look better in the back of my truck. So Here is what I did.

What you need:

Fuel Cans (in this case I got some 5 Gal Military Fuel Cans)
Flat Spray Paint (any color of your choosing/ Must be able to "bond" to plastic)
Sand Paper (I used 100 Grit, turned out alright. I could have used a finer grit)
Razor Blade
Painters Tape
A folder or cardboard to make a stencil with

Make your stencil
I decided to make an SVT logo
DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

Take your fuel can and sand it down as best as possible. This will help bond the paint to the can itself. Be sure to do your best in the creases near the words and on the part you are going to put your stencil.
DSCF0005.jpg

Next, spray paint the color you want your stencil to be on the can. I painted mine on the smooth end of the can.
DSCF0006.jpg

Then, take your blue painters tape and cover an area big enough to draw your stencil on.

Take your stencil and draw it on the painters tape. Then take the razor blade and cut it out, leaving the stencil design.
DSCF0007.jpg

Spray paint the whole can with a couple good coats.
DSCF0008.jpg

Then remove the blue painters tape. Revealing your stencil.
DSCF0009.jpg

As you can see, i kinda did a crappy job sanding and the tan didnt bond in a certain part. I don't expect this paint to last forever with constant wear and tear, but it does look better than a beat up old brown Fuel Can.

Btw, you can fit 6 or 7 of these across the back of the bed for a total of 30 - 35 Gallons. All you would need is the spout that goes on the can in order to fill up.

Enjoy.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice Nacho!!

Alright... so how does a mere mortal living in Kalifornia go about acquiring some of those military cans? I would looooove to score a few.

AuPanda

Reaction score
Nice Nacho!!

Alright... so how does a mere mortal living in Kalifornia go about acquiring some of those military cans? I would looooove to score a few.
X2 on getting the fuel cans

B

Bojangles

Nice Nacho!!

X2 on getting the fuel cans

If you go down to your local Army recruiter, I'm sure he'd gladly trade you several fuel cans for your autograph on a few pieces of paper.

OP
OP
Nacho

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you go down to your local Army recruiter, I'm sure he'd gladly trade you several fuel cans for your autograph on a few pieces of paper.

Haha. 5 years of service for some fuel cans. :picard:

Since your in Cali, I'd say the closest military installation should have some (Fort Irwin/ Camp Pendleton) I don't think they would follow the same laws the civilians do on the fuel cans since the cans are required as part of the basic load for the HMMWV. I aquired mine from a motorpool that had tons of them just sitting in a connex.

The ones used by military carry JP8 . either clean them out very well or find the ones that read "MOGAS" on them.

jerrycan_metal_gas_375.jpg

The army also uses these exact cans for water
31SfzLGK23L._SS500_.jpg

Nothing is stopping you from putting fuel in them. Its made of the same material. Smaller outlet and a breather valve as well.

Then you also have these as well

41f5ENSsaqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

What is stopping you in taxifornia from getting the military style jerry cans? CARB law or whatchamacallit?

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice work on the cans David.

We have can envy!

What is stopping you in taxifornia from getting the military style jerry cans?

Uh, political incompetence. Stupidity. Misplaced priorities. Super-sized government (they say, "Hey, it works at McDonald's). Pick any four.

PS: Why do they call them "jerry cans?" I've always been confused about that since in WW2 they called the Germans "Jerry".

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
PS: Why do they call them "jerry cans?" I've always been confused about that since in WW2 they called the Germans "Jerry".
The can was a German design that we copied. "Jerry" was a disparaging name used by troops to refer to Germany and Germans.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The original Wehrmacht "Jerry can" was designed in Germany... I especially like the cap/breather features which made pouring work great. The biggest drawback was that they were metal.

Wedco made a replica until recently but alas, those are now illegal too... the lid wasn't "childproof".

DSC08456340.jpg