GEN 1 Disabling Third Brake Light Marker Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stealth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the front grille LED lights. I also like the third light red LED brake lights - but I don’t like the same 3 red LED lights running as marker lights when the park lights or headlights are on. I know they get brighter when the brakes are pressed. But I still think it confuses some drivers who think I’m braking when I’m not because they probably always equate third light as brake light only.

Does anyone know of a way to disable the 3 red marker lights on the third brake light yet still keep the functionality of them running as brake lights? Is it as simple as cutting a wire? I’m not sure how mandatory it is to have because I know the Recon third brake light does not include these marker lights.

D

Deleted member 12951

Post something in the classified section asking to buy someone's burned out 3rd brake light markers. Most likely get it for free and just the cost of shipping

OP
OP
stealth

stealth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The book is in the truck I can look at the diagram in the morning for you.

Thanks for taking the time to check! I also appreciate the other replies. I understand it's DOT mandated but wonder how much it's really enforced considering that Recon sells a third light alternative that doesn't use the markers? I was considering buying their smoked version but then read about issues with Recon products and their poor customer service. I ended up tinting the stock third light with VHT nite shades and it looks so much better than the stock white color - especially on Tuxedo black. I only did one coat as I'm going for a smoked look. Besides, didn't want to risk tinting it too dark.

Redrap22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he still wants the light to work as a brake light, wouldnt he still need a housing that has good leds? If they are burned out he wouldnt have the third brake light at all. Im not really sure, more asking if that is the way it would be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter