Decided to remove my tune...risk vs reward just didn't make sense....some observations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Livernois

I just don't find myself driving like an ass near as much as I used to.

Well, if you drive like an ass at all, it has NOTHING to do with a tune, just you. I "drive around" in weather mode 99% of the time, unless I'm at the "test site" for data recording or at the strip for laying down the numbers. If a tune causes you to drive like an ass, then it's much better for you to not have it. YMMV

edit: FYI, I set the throttle translation to linear in all modes, so no fake response to the pedal. It's all me.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't the damage already done? If he has engine issues, dealer can see the ECU update even though the tuner was uninstalled, he's essentially has the negative aspect of the tune as far as warranty being potentially denied, with none of the performance benefits since he's not using it. Wrong?

Tom Gates

Reaction score
Yes, Ford can see every time the ECU has been re-flashed if they look. That depends on what kind of issue you are having. They’re not going to replace motors, turbos, transmissions, etc. if a tune could have caused the problem.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Livernois

I just don't find myself driving like an ass near as much as I used to.
This.... I had the Livernois tune first. I thought it added something, but I didn't realize how little it was until I got Goosed with TCM+. Going from E50 or even 91 tune to stock is torture. It feels like these trucks can barely get out of there own way unless stomping on the pedal or running sport mode with the terrible 3 - 4 - 5 shifts.

I think without the Goosetuned I would have found something else to drive.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a gearhead 93 octane performance tune w/ auto octane adjust, ran it stock for 7k miles since it was brand new just to make sure no issues, IMO regardless of power increase the tranny just shifts smoother/better in all settings under any circumstance w/ the GH tune vs stock

D

Deleted member 12951

No desire to put a tune on mine. I bought the PremiumCare ESP to 125k. I mean everyone says how much better the GEN2 is over the GEN1 in every single way that if the GEN1 had enough power when off-roading with the Pedal Commander then why mess with the better GEN2.

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Isn't the damage already done? If he has engine issues, dealer can see the ECU update even though the tuner was uninstalled, he's essentially has the negative aspect of the tune as far as warranty being potentially denied, with none of the performance benefits since he's not using it. Wrong?
Yes, Ford can see every time the ECU has been re-flashed if they look. That depends on what kind of issue you are having. They’re not going to replace motors, turbos, transmissions, etc. if a tune could have caused the problem.
I am at 40,*** miles, so on my dime officially regardless of tune or not. I just decided I don't need the extra performance and extra stress. Again, I have plenty of other "got fast" cars...don't need my truck to be a 13 second 1/4 mile truck.

And yes, Ford can always see when the ECU was flashed. Not what was there. But...per the EULA you sign when buying the car, you agree never to flash the ECU. Even "going back to stock", there is a record of when the ECU was flashed. If that record doesn't match up with an official ford service reason for flash....you "could" have your engine warranty voided.

I say "could" because not all dealers check unless there is a specific reason.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@goblues38

I appreciate your honest post. Excellent post, and thank you for sharing. 10r80 is an outstanding OEM transmission rated well in capacity for each application. If the transmission fails in a Raptor—any warranty dept worth its salt is looking closely at any power boosts/alterations—in granular detail if a dealership says “it broke.” We will find it.

NOTE: Engineering 101. Heat, glad you noticed it as you understand transmissions. I could care less if you ran brand X synthetic or regeared (remember physics/heat). See note 2 as there is plenty of history.

NOTE2: If you remember when certain brand pickups with I-6 Turbo Diesels were known as “great motor & weak transmission pickup trucks”—the transmission was solid and had sufficient excess capacity for the application. Tuners (imagine that) were pushing limits of the OEM transmission (this was not unique to brand X—as all OEMs had the same issues with the aftermarket). Unfortunately, as we know people blamed the transmission—although the truck/transmission/drivetrain were well engineered.

NOTE3: Sadly, this occurs with today—still, and folks blame the OEM.

OEMs simply stepped things up to the tune (pun intended). I spoke about this to OEMs at a conference and the cat/mouse “game”, which is no game due to increased vigilance.
—————————————————————————————————
This applies to my OEM only, and it saves quite a bit of money annually for shareholders.

Tuners are the #1 area where my OEM rejects ALL concerns impacting drivetrain.

Mr. Blues38–you are out of warranty—doesn’t apply to you in this case.

Intangibly, your integrity about admitting the tune and removing after 8k miles is the most important thing if you have an issue down the road vs. doing the majority restore to factory/pretend “didn’t do nothing/anything”—which establishes deceit/discredits anything said after).
———————————————————-

@FordTechOne sir, please let me know if I am inaccurate in any way (dealership or aftermarket owns it—not OEM).

I am 100% hawkish of anything hitting my desk, and my warranty division ensures that anything hitting my desk was dissected within a hair and any lapse of integrity was captured (similar to any OEM who enjoys being in business). Yes, 100% on behalf of my company.

I point this out as I’m a motorsports enthusiast who loves the aftermarket—and holds them 100% accountable for all mods from intake/exhaust/tuning (or even appearance items like cool lights).

Modify an OEM vehicle powertrain/ECU as delivered from factory—and you should rely on the good graces of the OEM dealership and/or aftermarket company to fix any “kabooms” (usually expensive drivetrain). OEM isn’t paying one cent.

In closing, if any tuning company tells you that when they restore the factory map that was altered by tuning—the OEM does not have any way of knowing this (you ought get this in writing on corporate letterhead from the aftermarket company).

P.S. Moss-Magnuson is a law that the majority of consumers ought read up on—as for some reason it keeps getting “broader” in the minds of what is/is not acceptable (when the law has not changed).

Last edited:

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Out of the box, the Raptor is fun to drive. If there was no tune available, it would be still give me plenty of smiles.
I agree with you, I'm shaking my head at some of the comments about what a piece of crap, **** mobile, a stock raptor is! Stock it's 450 hp with 510 torque, when did that become so painfully slow that it's pretty much an undrivable, underpowered, piece of junk without a tune?

I get that it's great to throw a more powerful tune in the truck, but it's a little ridiculous to act like you can hardly drive the truck if you remove the tune. I love my truck as it is. I hate the sport mode because of how it hangs onto gears oddly, so I never use it. I use normal and just mash the pedal if I want to crank it up. So far, my trans shifts great with a year on the clock.

Last edited:

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
I agree with you, I'm shaking my head at some of the comments about what a piece of crap, **** mobile, a stock raptor is! Stock it's 450 hp with 510 torque, when did that become so painfully slow that it's pretty much an undrivable, underpowered, piece of junk without a tune?

I get that it's great to throw a more powerful tune in the truck, but it's a little ridiculous to act like you can hardly drive the truck if you remove the tune. I love my truck as it is. I hate the sport mode because of how it hangs onto gears oddly, so I never use it. I use normal and just mash the pedal if I want to crank it up. So far, my trans shifts great with a year on the clock.
When you get used to the extra 100 hp then yes removing the tune will make the truck feel like a ****.