Decided to remove my tune...risk vs reward just didn't make sense....some observations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My Raptor is not tuned and it is a blast to drive. If your tunes are giving you "sport mode like performance" why bother with a tune? Hit the button for sport mode and don't risk damaging your truck and buy some lights instead.

Not worth the risk and the truck has more than enough power in OEM configuration.

Livernois is known for safe, reliable tunes, so it isn't his tune. These tunes with silly names, whom I won't mention, are a red flags in my mind.
The “first” tune available for Raptors seemed to be cobb which is a “reputable” company & for the longest time people were lying $500 for a 1/2 ass 1/2 a generic tune w/ NO TCM tuning/adjustment. So there’s that.

the biggest thing I like about running the gearhead tune on my truck isn’t necessarily the additional power, it’s how smooth the power delivery is & how smooth/seamless/on point the transmission shifting/behavior is

when stock I would primarily run in sport mode - once you know how it behaves you can modulate them throttle so it doesn’t hang on gears or bang shifts - it just requires much less throttle input @ certain rpm....but in stock trim I prefer sport for the more immediate response & the auto start/stop being permanently off

wonder if there’s a way w/ forscan to have the truck automatically default to sport mode when you start it up?

Ozark427

Reaction score
You must have removed the tune...You passed me on I-64 2 Sunday's ago going into Louisville and it was nothing like your I-70 romp!! LOL. ( 19' Ruby w/ AR tags ).

Last edited:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The “first” tune available for Raptors seemed to be cobb which is a “reputable” company & for the longest time people were lying $500 for a 1/2 ass 1/2 a generic tune w/ NO TCM tuning/adjustment. So there’s that.

the biggest thing I like about running the gearhead tune on my truck isn’t necessarily the additional power, it’s how smooth the power delivery is & how smooth/seamless/on point the transmission shifting/behavior is

when stock I would primarily run in sport mode - once you know how it behaves you can modulate them throttle so it doesn’t hang on gears or bang shifts - it just requires much less throttle input @ certain rpm....but in stock trim I prefer sport for the more immediate response & the auto start/stop being permanently off

wonder if there’s a way w/ forscan to have the truck automatically default to sport mode when you start it up?
Err, Cobb was super late to the raptor tuning game.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@TwizzleStix how did you set the throttle translation to linear? Do you have a tune? Or did you adjust the stock throttle using FORScan, etc?

Yes I am tuned. I do all my own tuning with my vehicles. I have the Cobb and HPTuners software licensed for me, well my vehicles only. Any tuner can set it up for you though. The AP itself allows pedal translation changes too.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Raptor is not tuned and it is a blast to drive. If your tunes are giving you "sport mode like performance" why bother with a tune? Hit the button for sport mode and don't risk damaging your truck and buy some lights instead.

Not worth the risk and the truck has more than enough power in OEM configuration.

Livernois is known for safe, reliable tunes, so it isn't his tune. These tunes with silly names, whom I won't mention, are a red flags in my mind.
That’s in your opinion of course. For me, and many others here, nothing has enough power in OEM configuration. Nothing.
If I had a 1500hp Bugatti Chiron, I would be researching mods that add power.

Last edited:

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hkguns said:
….. Livernois is known for safe, reliable tunes, so it isn't his tune. These tunes with silly names, whom I won't mention, are a red flags in my mind.

Uhmmm, Livernois is known for dog slow tunes, if that's what you call "safe". Had this debate directly. … and the "name" of a tune is your trigger? I suppose you also don't like calling Aunt Jemima Syrup as Aunt Jemima Syrup either.

Anyway, I do my OWN TUNES and I can tell you for SURE that you guys who say "stock is enough power for me", that's no problem. Just go hang out with the girls in the colored bulbs, floor mats, and stickers area.

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You must have removed the tune...You passed me on I-64 2 Sunday's ago going into Louisville and it was nothing like your I-70 romp!! LOL. ( 19' Ruby w/ AR tags ).

LOL...that was my wife. I was at home coaching soccer......she was on her way to Eastern Kentucky to pick up and haul back older daughters dorm room.

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
hkguns said:
….. Livernois is known for safe, reliable tunes, so it isn't his tune. These tunes with silly names, whom I won't mention, are a red flags in my mind.

Uhmmm, Livernois is known for dog slow tunes, if that's what you call "safe". Had this debate directly. … and the "name" of a tune is your trigger? I suppose you also don't like calling Aunt Jemima Syrup as Aunt Jemima Syrup either.

Anyway, I do my OWN TUNES and I can tell you for SURE that you guys who say "stock is enough power for me", that's no problem. Just go hang out with the girls in the colored bulbs, floor mats, and stickers area.
Cool story bro

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
... you guys who say "stock is enough power for me", that's no problem. Just go hang out with the girls in the colored bulbs, floor mats, and stickers area.
I tried to go there, but @Oldfart was so busy hitting on them that they wouldn't let me in. Apparently, he's giving us all a bad reputation. :naughty: