Dealer - taxes, title, registration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico, it ain't "new" & it ain't "mexico"
So realized that the dealer charged 5% for taxes when NM (vehicle will live) is 4%. There explanation is “not sure how much NM title/registration/tag will be.” If there’s overcharge then we’ll cut/mail you check. Never heard of this and why not find out or place on separate line not include as part of taxes.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of state purchase I’m assuming? My dealer gave me a choice. I decided to just pay my taxes when I got the truck back to AZ. But keep in mind some states have different laws in regards to vehicle sales tax

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of state purchases can be weird and it’s better to over pay than under. I’ve had some in state purchases where they’ll send me a check for overage, usually like $20 or so.

CINISI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve always paid taxes when registering the car locally. I’ve never paid in the state if purchased away from home. Sounds weird.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the same thing happen. Probably 5% of the buyers go back and review the contract, or even know what the state tax rate is. They're making a pretty good profit on a so called "mistake". The F&I people (finance and insurance) have a bunch of very common scams they utilize in the car business to up their bottom line. This is one of them.

OP
OP
CTK59

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico, it ain't "new" & it ain't "mexico"
I've had the same thing happen. Probably 5% of the buyers go back and review the contract, or even know what the state tax rate is. They're making a pretty good profit on a so called "mistake". The F&I people (finance and insurance) have a bunch of very common scams they utilize in the car business to up their bottom line. This is one of them.
Did they adjust or refund the extra in your case. He explained in writing “why” and said any variance will be refunded by check to me.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My recent purchase they did the same thing and just cut me a check for $900 when I finished registering the vehicle. Easy to handle

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you had that happen to you I would reach out to your state attorney general or dealer regulator. That is an easy way to lose a dealer license. Dealers (or any business) can’t profit on sales tax or registration fees.

1vision33

Reaction score
So realized that the dealer charged 5% for taxes when NM (vehicle will live) is 4%. There explanation is “not sure how much NM title/registration/tag will be.” If there’s overcharge then we’ll cut/mail you check. Never heard of this and why not find out or place on separate line not include as part of taxes.
I purchased out of state as well and had a very similar situation, although my state charges closer to 10% lol... F-me...

But, I did end up getting a small refund check from the dealer. My dealer used a 3rd party for this service so I did pay a "convenience fee" too.. In hind sight, if given the option, I would handle it myself... I still had to smog it, get it weighed and VIN checked by my local DMV..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter