Dead horse has some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought my new Raptor, I'm thinking of going mid perch and an alignment.

My questions after reading every thread on this forum about perches are these,

1. Does the mid perch reduce cv joint/ u joint axle life?

2. If it raises the truck 2 inches then it reduces the amount of wheel drop capability by 2 inches on the extension stroke?( so we lose some total travel)

3. Did SVT engineers REALLY design the truck to be at mid perch but couldn't due to some silly DOT law about bumper height or something similar? Who here actually knows this for a fact ?

4. Are there ANY handling or other issues that are negatively affected by doing this mod?

Seems as though in all the forum posts for every answer there were equal and opposite conflicting posts that went against what someone else just said was
true.

Thanks !

Last edited:

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the 2012 Raptors rolled-out, a supplier engineer ( ntn ? ) asked how their axles were performing with the Torsen system. FoMoCo / SVT didn't ask for stronger front axle parts to handle the lopsided torque from the Torsen. The engineer made about six posts and vanished.

Just drive in T/H mode and forget about that perch stuff.

BABaracus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the 2012 Raptors rolled-out, a supplier engineer ( ntn ? ) asked how their axles were performing with the Torsen system. FoMoCo / SVT didn't ask for stronger front axle parts to handle the lopsided torque from the Torsen. The engineer made about six posts and vanished. Just drive in T/H mode and forget about that perch stuff.

"At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Billy Madison

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does changing shift points in the tow haul mode have to do with anything?

Thanks.

FoMoCo / SVT, apparently, pushed-out their Torsen design and created front driveline stress beyond original design parameters. Better to regard perch change as adding lemon and tartar sauce.

T/H mode is a factory tune, not directly connected to the Torsen problem.

OP
OP
Hoverp

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FoMoCo / SVT, apparently, pushed-out their Torsen design and created front driveline stress beyond original design parameters. Better to regard perch change as adding lemon and tartar sauce.

T/H mode is a factory tune, not directly connected to the Torsen problem.

So basically your saying that by going mid perch, we are increasing angle on the cv front and driveline joints, and that is adding stress to an already over stressed ( by torsion ) design limit?

RaptorWifey

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
#3. No, they engineered it and intend it to be on low perch!.. So says Jamal Hameedi. Responsible engineer on the raptor we know and love!!

Now, that doesn't mean mid perch is the devil, just that the raptor wasn't designed for it like popular opinion guesses

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought my new Raptor, I'm thinking of going mid perch and an alignment.

My questions after reading every thread on this forum about perches are these,

1. Does the mid perch reduce cv joint/ u joint axle life?

2. If it raises the truck 2 inches then it reduces the amount of wheel drop capability by 2 inches on the extension stroke?( so we lose some total travel)

3. Did SVT engineers REALLY design the truck to be at mid perch but couldn't due to some silly DOT law about bumper height or something similar? Who here actually knows this for a fact ?

4. Are there ANY handling or other issues that are negatively affected by doing this mod?

Seems as though in all the forum posts for every answer there were equal and opposite conflicting posts that went against what someone else just said was
true.

Thanks !

1. Possibly, however I have not seen it. Top perch does for sure but from everything I have seen, mid perch is perfectly fine for it.

2. Close, but no. You lose about and 1.5" of droop (down) travel, but you gain that in bump (up) travel. The total travel still cycles at the same length, ride height is just shifted to a different point in that total travel.

3. This is what I've heard. Unfortunately nobody has solid, concrete, undeniable evidence towards or against this theory. Yes Mr. Hameedi claims this is not true, but I would guess he is required to make this claim.

4. Not that I can tell. The ride does firm up slightly, however I don't see this as a negative. It's a nice change and still rides plenty softly. On a positive note, the slight increase in stiffness does majorly reduce nose dive when coming to a stop. It will raise the truck slightly so that could be a negative if you have clearance issues on stock perch. That's unique to the end user though.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So basically your saying that by going mid perch, we are increasing angle on the cv front and driveline joints, and that is adding stress to an already over stressed ( by torsion ) design limit?

Google search: ford raptor forum shaftman

Under statistics you'll find the feedback thread he started.

OP
OP
Hoverp

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think I'll drive it for a while in the low perch setting and see if I feel I need to go mid or not.

Thanks for the info.

Patrick