Damage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1stSFG

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I took rappy in to have the alignment checked yesterday after installing the GB coil over springs.
Last night I'm on the ******* going over the print out and finally decided to read the REAR toe spec's.................WTF?

I've been crawling looking for shifted Ubolts, leaf spring shiftage, leaking axle seals or any other potential sign of damage. Nothing.
I had a run in on the first day I got it with a longhair libby in a Subaru and a Mr. Spock bumper sticker. Didn't see anything more then cosmetic damage.
It looks like maybe my rear axle may have shifted when the Ahole drove under my right rear wheel. The thing that leaves me scratching my head is the fact that the thrust angle is in spec. ??? Maybe because both sides are in such extreme parallels they offset each other?
Hey Pirate, you lurking in the waters? I'd love to get you're opinion.

I'm going to measure from center cap to center cap to see if there's a difference.............

Attachments

• Scan0014.jpg
    Scan0014.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

Where I do my finest work these days.

You probably posted that from the ******* too.

Curious though, if someone was to get a replacement set of leaf springs, should they also get a 4 wheel alignment done soon afterwards?

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did. Of course, I didn't install them, either. But I did take it and have a total alignment done.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I took rappy in to have the alignment checked yesterday after installing the GB coil over springs.
Last night I'm on the ******* going over the print out and finally decided to read the REAR toe spec's.................WTF?

I've been crawling looking for shifted Ubolts, leaf spring shiftage, leaking axle seals or any other potential sign of damage. Nothing.
I had a run in on the first day I got it with a longhair libby in a Subaru and a Mr. Spock bumper sticker. Didn't see anything more then cosmetic damage.
It looks like maybe my rear axle may have shifted when the Ahole drove under my right rear wheel. The thing that leaves me scratching my head is the fact that the thrust angle is in spec. ??? Maybe because both sides are in such extreme parallels they offset each other?
Hey Pirate, you lurking in the waters? I'd love to get you're opinion.

I'm going to measure from center cap to center cap to see if there's a difference.............

Did you replace the springs or loosen the u bolts in the past? Got pictures of when the Subaru hit you? Either the housing is bent or the rear end is out of square in relation to the chassis.

You probably posted that from the ******* too.

Curious though, if someone was to get a replacement set of leaf springs, should they also get a 4 wheel alignment done soon afterwards?

I wouldn't go get an alignment done right away after replacing the springs, but I would keep it in mind the next time you need it done, which for most of us is like a scheduled maintenance haha

OP
OP
1stSFG

1stSFG

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No pictures. No the ubolts nor the leafs have been replaced or loosened in the past. The ubolts look to be sitting evenly on the top spring on both sides. The measurement as I figured from center cap to center cap on both sides (as best I could do) was even per say.
I'll likely be replacing the leaf springs the last week of July.
Thanks Pirate. I really don't see how the housing could be bent if I'm not pissing gear oil somewhere? Or getting some pretty obvious abnormal noises or tracking issues that would be noticeable in the tire wear?
The only visual damage was the r/r bumper corner was folded up into the lower bed body and the exhaust tip being minutely bent. The r/r wheel has a pencil thin "scratch" across it, and the r/r fender flair was badly scratched. Basically what happened is I was passing the slug in the passing lane and he decided he didn't want me to pass him. As I was merging into the "slow lane" his front left fender drove up under my r/r wheel lifting my ass up. As it came up off the ground it started to turn me hard right. I counter steered and accelerated and actually left smoked rubber on his hood as my truck came correct as he braked. There was no hard crash or impact of any kind. I was doing about 50 at the time of impact.
Are there any definitive ways to diagnose the discrepancies of the rear toe numbers?

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the way the toe reads and the contact being on the right side, it sounds like the housing is just out of square. It could have happened in the collision or maybe been like that to begin with from the factory. Another possibility is the alignment machine wasnt reading 100% accurate. The rear end housing will always have a very slight amount of positive toe to help with tracking. An alignment machine is really the only way to check the trueness of the housing, out side of a jig and mandrels. The individual toe readings (as well as thrust angle) mostly indicate the squareness in relation to chassis and the total toe indicates the trueness of the housing.

I would do the springs and then re align it and see how it looks and go from there.