Crank case vents.. 1 or 2??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Klutch

Reaction score
Just reading up on catch cans. Can someone tell me is there a CCV on each valve cover or just the passenger side?

If there is 2, why are companies only addressing the one on the passenger side?

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most often there's only 1 side that will have the CCV installed. I have seen quite a few different years/motors all only using one side valve cover for placement of the CCV.

The 6.7L PSD has a "catch can" of sorts (maybe more like a baffle) on the stock CCV setup.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just reading up on catch cans. Can someone tell me is there a CCV on each valve cover or just the passenger side?

If there is 2, why are companies only addressing the one on the passenger side?

There is only one PCV valve, so the first and most important CC goes there. The PCV allows the manifold vacuum to pull the crankcase vapors out and into the intake for burning.

Air going out must have air going in, so there is another non-valved hose connected to the intake piping after the air filter to allow filtered air into the crankcase.

Some kits include a CC for this fresh air inlet. In forced induction systems running at high cylinder pressures, there can be enough crankcase pressure to blow out the fresh air inlet.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't crank case pressure a result of the blow-by past the piston rings?

Yes, but not all of it. The pumping actions of the pistons moving up and down inside the crankcase generate a whole lot of pressure pulses that tend to make the crankcase "breathe" and aerates some of the oil into a mist.

If you think about it, this physical pumping phenomenon is how piston port 2-stroke engines work.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the pistons are at different positions (firing order) the pressure created at whatever point is balanced across the area as air can be compressed. So as one piston comes down, one goes up...the effected area is the same hence no pressure is "created". I'd say the crankshaft causes more oil to "mist" due to splashing in the oil. In the end the "oil mist" comes out at the valve cover area, so how does that happen?? I was understanding that the oil passages is where the "pressure" migrates, creating the "mist" in/under the valve cover area. That's why the CCV/PCV is most often located in the valve cover.

Watching some aftermarket intake kit installs they references a line the goes to the intake side of the turbo. Is that the second line you speak of??

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Klutch: I think this shows what's going on better. I would say the one side is "dirty" hence there's no "need" for both sides to be used on a catch can system. I'm not saying a single port isn't good, just showing you the terms they use for each side of the motor. This kit calls one side "dirty" while the other side is "clean".