GEN 1 Couple of new owner questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueFalcon

Reaction score
Hello all!

Stuck on deployment during this Coronamadness but couldn't pass up a deal back home. Wife went and picked it up for me and I will add some more pics when she gets them to me, but for now, here's some from the ad. Should be in my driveway sometime this week.

Truck is a 2013 Ingot Silver SCREW with I believe the 801a package (has front and rear cameras, moon roof, heated/cooled seats/etc). I say that I believe because of one thing. The truck is salvage and the PO rebuilt it. Had it gone through by Jeff at SVC offroad and he gave it his stamp of approval. Absolutely in love with it and have zero issues with its history. Only question I have deduced so far is that it has halogen housings but "those bright blue lights I don't like" (my wife's words). I'm thinking that he rebuilt it with all OEM parts and just used the halogen housings because of availability of price. PO did an amazing job rebuilding this truck and I am totally impressed by the quality of his work.

Questions are:
-How do I tell if they are OEM HID's and not a retrofit of some kind?
-How does this affect my aftermarket headlight choices?
-How tough is that carpet in the bed? If it sits out in the sun and weather for 2 more months, am I just going to have to rip it out? Don't currently have a cover or cap.
-For the must have mods I am aware of the Fuse 27 relo and usual things like fluid changes and maintenance. Anything else I should put forward in my priorities?

View media item 14937
View media item 14940
View media item 14938
View media item 14939

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a bed rug in my last truck, i never liked it that well... it held grease and oils from hauling engines and parts around but i used it because it came on the truck. The reason the PO had it was he had a shell and carried his dogs around in the bed of the truck which seems like the best reason to have something like that.

As far as if they are OEM HID its pretty easy to tell by the housings, it looks to me from the one off angle picture that those are standard halogen housings. They probably have some knock off bulbs in them. Chuck in a pair of silvania silverstars or phillips xtreme vision and you will notice a dramatic improvement.

03Cobraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!
I would try to put a stock set if 2013-2014 HID headlights in it.
Absolutely love these lights on the raptor.
Fuse 27 relocation mod very easy and definitely necessary.
Good luck

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hid headlights were standard for 2013. it was one of the upgrades from 2012. those look like oem 2012 or older headlight housings. the blue light is the temperature of the bulb. most likely an 8000k-10,000 k bulb setup. or it could be a coating on the bulb. would need to see more pics of the headlights.

OP
OP
B

BlueFalcon

Reaction score
I had a bed rug in my last truck, i never liked it that well... it held grease and oils from hauling engines and parts around but i used it because it came on the truck. The reason the PO had it was he had a shell and carried his dogs around in the bed of the truck which seems like the best reason to have something like that.

As far as if they are OEM HID its pretty easy to tell by the housings, it looks to me from the one off angle picture that those are standard halogen housings. They probably have some knock off bulbs in them. Chuck in a pair of silvania silverstars or phillips xtreme vision and you will notice a dramatic improvement.

Yeah likely will end up doing that while I save up for new housings. But yeah I am undecided on the carpet. I may not end up keeping it because I end up with a ton of muddy nasty shit in the back after our exercises. Pendleton is all dust until it rains and then the entire base floods haha

Welcome and thank you for your service!

Thank you! Been obsessively surfing here all week.

Congratulations!
I would try to put a stock set if 2013-2014 HID headlights in it.
Absolutely love these lights on the raptor.
Fuse 27 relocation mod very easy and definitely necessary.
Good luck

Yeah I may look for those or spend a little more and go for Raptor Retrofit. Love the LED accents they make. Plays into my love of Tron.

hid headlights were standard for 2013. it was one of the upgrades from 2012. those look like oem 2012 or older headlight housings. the blue light is the temperature of the bulb. most likely an 8000k-10,000 k bulb setup. or it could be a coating on the bulb. would need to see more pics of the headlights.

I thought HIDs were options in the 801a package. I didn't believe they were standard. Yeah once my wife picks it up I'll have a laundry list of pictures for her send me and sate my curiosity.

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look like halogen housings for sure, the HID ones are darker and have what looks like it should be a DRL, but it isnt. I bet they just put some LED bulbs in it, or used the existing ballasts with whatever HID bulb size that light housing takes, because I doubt it was the same bulb as the HID ones.

OP
OP
B

BlueFalcon

Reaction score
Look like halogen housings for sure, the HID ones are darker and have what looks like it should be a DRL, but it isnt. I bet they just put some LED bulbs in it, or used the existing ballasts with whatever HID bulb size that light housing takes, because I doubt it was the same bulb as the HID ones.

Yeah starting to lean that way as well. The truck will be in my driveway Wednesday so I can get some more details

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc