Common steering wheel issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The258

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok this is another steering issue

I have a 2010, not sure if this is common on the early models or what.
story goes, I installed the RPG P/S reservoir and soon after my steering would "buckle" during off roading as well feel a clunk on the steering wheel. Started progressing to feeling the clunk ton any type of bumps and dips on the road.

At a stop light I jiggled the wheel side to side (not turning anything)and felt the clunk, i then jiggled the steering wheel front to back, the whole steering wheel moved! I took it to my friends shop where he told me the bolt that holds the steering wheel in place is aluminum, from there i figured that the off roading managed to wear it out, mind you im not the type of person to use the wheel to pull myself in.

I dont think i have read about this issue or heard anything of it but has anyone encountered this as well, is this an common issue?

OP
OP
The258

The258

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM bolt is out of stock, didnt want to keep driving the truck as is so I should get the truck back tomorrow. Once I found out the wheel was loose, I would press up on the steering wheel on bumps and dips, it wouldnt make the noise. It was bad, imagine if the steering wheel was a bobble head.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow yea that could have been bad if t would have come off while driving. I have a 2010 and I've beat it off road and all but never had my steering wheel come loose like that!

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I had a clunk in the steering wheel, too (although not as bad as yours from the sound of it). The dealer replaced the steering column and I have not had an issue since.

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the hardware for the steering wheel on the column is steel. The steering wheel it self is aluminum. Here is how it is assembled.
There is a bolt that threads into the column.

DSCF2341.jpg

The steering wheel has a hex type formed fitting. Only way it would be loose is if the bolt came loose.

DSCF2342.jpg

Pretty simple assembly but I could see it getting loose if it was not tight at the factory.

DSCF2343.jpg

Hope this helps understand how the steering wheel is put on.

Mil T

OP
OP
The258

The258

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I know how it is assembled onto the column. My assumption was that the bolt itself started getting loose with time caused by offroading. Once taken to my buddies shop he looked it up on the vehicle database, from there it mention the bolt is aluminum and best to replace with a new bolt and discard the old one rather torquing it back to spec. Quick fix, yes but I wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else or a common problem.