Common Issues/Wear/Problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LandSeaAir

Reaction score
Hello,

I will start off by saying i'm not really a "truck guy" but I have allways wanted a bad ass, tough as nails, mud shredding, ozone layer destroying death mobile. I've made a living in the motorsport industry and if anyone in the world is a truely obsessed with motorsports it is, without question, myself. I've owned about a half dozen higher end bmws and sport luxury cars as well as a few of sports cars and race cars so I am as picky as they come.

I've been thinking about picking up a 6.2 in white or blue fully loaded (minus orange seats) some time in spring and have some questions I have not been able to find answers to. It will be nice to have a car I can drive in the rain, leave out in the snow and salt and vaccum out only once a month and just generally not worry about like I do my m5.

I won't have the opportunity to drive one untill I buy it so i'm asking this to the people on here that own some higher end german cars to give some comparison imputs....

- How does the prem. sound system compare to anything german? At least as decent as a base 3 series?
- Interior wear and tear?
- Nav system ease of use and how does it compare to iDrive or the system in a c6 z06?

- Warranty, warranty & warranty.... To say it easiest, I plan to beat the living **** out of this truck (launch it, live at redline, drift, jump, slam thru mud, sand, gravel...)
I know a lot of companies do anything and everything to not cover something that should be warrantied, I know abuse isn't covered and it shouldn't be. This is why I don't plan on doing anything more than just a simple intake, exhaust & tune if Ford won't hassle me about it.

I also think that a simple engine such as the 6.2 making only 410hp is about as stressed at full song as lance armstrong is mall walking. I seriously doubt something is going to bust in the motor, more like driveline and suspension.

What has everyone broken so far and has Ford covered it?
Also, are the tuner shops able to bypass the 100mph limiter? (I don't need your safety speach about how it wasn't intended to go any faster and how your pants will instantly burst into flame, manatees go extinct, obama run a 2nd term and taco bell to stop selling the XXL Chalupa)

I'd also like to haul a 20ft enclosed trailer and have read that the "limit" is 7000lbs. What is the true limiting factor here? The suspension, the hitch system, what? I can't think the frame is to weak.

Thanks for everyones imputs and just general comments on ownership!

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
- How does the prem. sound system compare to anything german? At least as decent as a base 3 series?
- Warranty, warranty & warranty.... To say it easiest, I plan to beat the living **** out of this truck (launch it, live at redline, drift, jump, slam thru mud, sand, gravel...)
I know a lot of companies do anything and everything to not cover something that should be warrantied, I know abuse isn't covered and it shouldn't be. This is why I don't plan on doing anything more than just a simple intake, exhaust & tune if Ford won't hassle me about it.

Also, are the tuner shops able to bypass the 100mph limiter?

I'd also like to haul a 20ft enclosed trailer and have read that the "limit" is 7000lbs. What is the true limiting factor here? The suspension, the hitch system, what? I can't think the frame is to weak.

1) Stereo
I think it sounds pretty good, but I will never claim to be an audiophile. I have had aftermarket stereos in past vehicles and my wife's car has a nice factory Blaupunkt for comparison.

2)Interior wear & tear
The only thing I have found an issue with is the plastic cover on the side of the base of the seat. It is too soft and has gotten scuffed up a little. If you want to not vac it out for over a month at a time, I would recommend getting floor liners like those from WeatherTech or Husky.

3)Warranty
The only things I have heard of breaking are two axle shafts (one was running a supercharger with a lot of boost) and a couple of blown / leaking shocks. With the exception of the modified vehicle, they were all covered.

4)Tuners
The speed limiter is no issue, from what I have heard.

5)Towing
The limit is 6000 lbs for the SuperCab and 8000 lbs for the SuperCrew. The limit is the suspension. The rear springs are softer than the regular F-150 and the shocks use position sensitive damping as opposed to velocity sensitive like most pickups.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum M5, C6 Z06 guy

- How does the prem. sound system compare to anything german? At least as decent as a base 3 series? Yes. At least.
- Interior wear and tear? Holds up to repeated hard use in desert and offroad conditions.
- Nav system ease of use and how does it compare to iDrive or the system in a c6 z06? Nav system is way easier to use than the-stupid-hockey-puck-controller-multiple-levels-of-choice-while-you're-driving-the-BMW-iDrive-system. Very intuitive voice control/touchscreen SYNC system is among the very best and certainly better than the GM crap in the Z06.

* This truck is unlike any made or sold. If you're going to offroad it there is no substitute except for a custom-built truck.

* The 100MPH limiter is there because of the tires which aren't rated for more (but there's certainly a safety buffer). Remove the limiter and you, well you know the rest (warranty)

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Italian Job. Welcome! Where abouts are you located? I've spent my fair share of time out at the track (both straight line and curvey). Would be a small world if we've bumped into each other at some point.

The premium system in the Raptor is really good. Maybe among the best when it comes to what's available in a truck today.

I've never heard the base system in a 3, but I have heard the premium system in a 2010 M3. No comparison. If you're used to that sort of sound, you're going to be very disappointed with the Raptor. Again that's not to say the Raptor system is bad; its not at all. But compared to a true audiophile tuned system? Nah.

Set your expectations a bit low, and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

So far so good. And I beat the crap out of mine. Get yourself a set of WeatherTech mats (click here for my review: http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthread.php?9-Review-WeatherTech-DigitalFit-FloorLiner-Floor-Mats), and you'll be in great shape for a long long time.

- Nav system ease of use and how does it compare to iDrive or the system in a c6 z06?
Dunno. I don't have the nav nor have I used the systems you mention.

Warranty, warranty & warranty.... To say it easiest, I plan to beat the living **** out of this truck (launch it, live at redline, drift, jump, slam thru mud, sand, gravel...)
I have to say that Ford has really stepped up when it comes to this. Especially with the Raptor. Everything I've read to date shows that *if* you work with your service guy (as in don't **** them off and don't be a ****) they'll get with Ford and often SVT directly to get you taken care of immediately. There have even been cases where SVT engineers have flown out to the truck in question to see what's up. Coming from the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep world myself (most recently, Chevy before that), I know EXACTLY what you mean when you say they'll go out of their way not to cover you. So far, from what I'm seeing Ford has taken the exact opposite approach with the Raptor; they want you out there running it hard, using it as it was designed to be used.

Kaiser covered that one well. In addition I broke a wheel speed sensor that wasn't covered (click here: http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthread.php?2393-Freak-Accident-or-Weakness-Found-Wheel-Speed-Sensor...) but I can't blame Ford for not. That was clear impact damage.

Also, are the tuner shops able to bypass the 100mph limiter?
Yep, a handheld will take care of that for you. And no saftey speech from me... except to say, as a fellow speed guy, make sure you address the tires before pushing much beyond 100. They're not rated for those speeds, and if you've ever had a tire fly apart on ya, you'll understand that suggestion :)

Again Kaiser covered this one. The magic of this truck is the suspension. But that same suspension doesn't lend itself too well to towing, hence the relatively low ratings. A few of us have talked about bagging the rear (air bags) in order to tow well beyond the rating, but that idea hasn't really gotten off the ground.

Hope all that helps. Again, welcome!

OP
OP
LandSeaAir

LandSeaAir

Reaction score
Wow, lots of good feedback here! I did some more research and I guess time will tell as I couldn't find any used Raptors with more than 10k miles so it looks like this is everyones 2nd or 3rd (maby 4th or 5th even) car so they're not seeing tons of repeat hard use.

I'm pretty much set on getting one already just need to decide color at this point and deal with what ever issues it has.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow, lots of good feedback here! I did some more research and I guess time will tell as I couldn't find any used Raptors with more than 10k miles so it looks like this is everyones 2nd or 3rd (maby 4th or 5th even) car so they're not seeing tons of repeat hard use.

I'm pretty much set on getting one already just need to decide color at this point and deal with what ever issues it has.

Some of us our Raptors as daily drivers and take them off road a lot... :)

I'm definitely impressed at how well the truck is built and its capabilities off road... I'm also impressed at how well I've been treated by Ford for warranty work. :thumbsup:

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually there are quite a number of owners who have a good amount of miles on their Raptors. I don't know who has the most but I'm sure there are some with 20-22,000 miles after the first year. What I think you're seeing is not many owners wanting to sell them.

Since you're looking for one with more than 10,000 miles I assume you want a "low price?"

Our very own Ray is selling his but his Raptor has relatively low miles

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is my DD and I beat the dog snot out of it. Some of the rumored preproduction 6.2L have been used in everything from New edge mustangs mules to a 7sec E85 powered mustang. Once this motor gets going and starts building support you're going to see some wild stuff. In fact last time I was a Lightning forum JLP was stuffing a 6.2L in to a L. As far tuning goes there is a shop in NJ and TX who say they can tune these truck. Personally you need one of Troyer Performance tunes. I made the mistake of not going to him first and it almost cost me a motor. Mike is a good guy and he won't release a tune or a truck until he is 150% happy with it btw he had my truck for 2 days and the truck drives like stock with all the power of my mods. As far warranty goes its carries one like the C6 Z06 or 427R Track Pak from Roush. If you break something off road it will most likely be covered with the exception of somethings.

OP
OP
LandSeaAir

LandSeaAir

Reaction score
Since you're looking for one with more than 10,000 miles I assume you want a "low price?"
Our very own Ray is selling his but his Raptor has relatively low miles

I didn't want a car with that many miles. What I meant by the ones for sale with a lot of miles I was trying to just gauge durability after ___ amount of abuse or seeing how the majority of them are being used.

The conclusion I drew from my autotrader/cars research was that most of the cars seem to be peoples "other" cars as they are all low mile and don't have any trail rash, seemingly proving that most (that I saw) are never off roaded, opening up now the potential to get something in the 5-10k mile range if I can get a deal I can't pass up. Why not save the 15k from new as long as its only been on pavement.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't want a car with that many miles, it would have to be new or almost new. What I meant by the ones for sale with a lot of miles I was trying to just gauge durability after ___ amount of abuse or seeing how the majority of them are being used.

The conclusion I drew from my autotrader/cars research was that most of the cars seem to be peoples "other" cars as they are all low mile and don't have any trail rash, seemingly proving that most (that I saw) are never off roaded.
Those are the people that 5K to 20K over sticker. Most of us on here are fairly vocal about our trucks and whats happened to them. Trolling on here will give you a good idea.