Collision Avoidance Braking When Passing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scoop

Reaction score
I have had this happen several times in the past and it happened again today. I'm driving in the left lane with adaptive cruise control engaged doing 80 on a 75 mph interstate approaching an 18-wheeler in the right lane. When I get about even with the rear of the rear of the tractor cruise disengages and the brakes are applied abruptly. Not a full slam on the brakes, but still rather abrupt. I did not notice the trucks possibly wandering into my lane on any of the occasions. Not sure what the sensors might have detected??

Anyone else experience this?

I did a quick search and found nothing similar except someone having this happen in a snow storm.

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your ACC relocated? I had the same issue when I had an ADD bumper that required ACC to be relocated offset.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I have had this happen several times in the past and it happened again today. I'm driving in the left lane with adaptive cruise control engaged doing 80 on a 75 mph interstate approaching an 18-wheeler in the right lane. When I get about even with the rear of the rear of the tractor cruise disengages and the brakes are applied abruptly. Not a full slam on the brakes, but still rather abrupt. I did not notice the trucks possibly wandering into my lane on any of the occasions. Not sure what the sensors might have detected??

Anyone else experience this?

I did a quick search and found nothing similar except someone having this happen in a snow storm.
It happened to me several times when I had the gen 2. Only thing I could think of was the mud flaps flopping around at the back of the trailer were throwing something off.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Reaction score
Is your ACC relocated? I had the same issue when I had an ADD bumper that required ACC to be relocated offset.
No, stock location. I have added 3 aux lights per side into each opening on the bumper.
It happened to me several times when I had the gen 2. Only thing I could think of was the mud flaps flopping around at the back of the trailer were throwing something off.
That's possible. Maybe the sensor thought that was movement into the left lane?

Thanks for the replies.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Was the road bending or straight? I have had it happen in the Raptor, Explorer, Range Rover. All while the road was bending, doesn't mater which way.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was the road bending or straight? I have had it happen in the Raptor, Explorer, Range Rover. All while the road was bending, doesn't mater which way.
Same

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine will slightly do it if you are really close to the line or just slightly over the line.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Reaction score
Looks like this is pretty common.

Wife (After being awakened by sudden braking): "What the hell? Why'd you do that?"

Me: "It wasn't me. I swear I didn't do it!"