COBB Stage 1 First Impressions on 2019.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RAG13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you're underwhelmed with the throttle response! Luckily, there is still quite a bit of adjustment left for you to increase pedal sensitivity. From the little I know about Pedal Commander, the Sport +4 is about as aggressive throttle response as it gets. Try setting the Dynamic Pedal Control feature to +10 to compare. No need to reflash the truck - you could even adjust it while driving for realtime changes in throttle mapping.

For a bit more information on how DPC works, check out this link:
https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wi...eatures+Dynamic+Pedal+Control+for+Ford+Raptor

If that adjustment range still isn't enough for you, you could definitely contact a Protuner to re-configure your throttle mapping to be more aggressive, or even download a copy of our Accesstuner software to adjust it yourself.

Let us know how that DPC change works for you. If you have other questions/concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us directly through our customer service channel ([email protected]) for more detail or datalog review.

Transmission tuning is the Ford development team's #1 priority at the moment. There is plenty left to do, but as you all know, there is a lot to improve upon for the stock transmission calibration. We'll keep the community updated as we near the end of the project.

Best,
Sam@COBB
Sam, thank you for your advice and info here. Please understand that I am in no way trying to bash your product, but I'm only trying to give MY honest assessment of a product so others can make a more informed decision. Its disappointing when one has such high expectations of something only to feel somewhat let down when those expectations arent met. I also purchased your cold air intake and I am quite impressed by the build quality and ease of installation. I will try to do as you recommended with the Accessport and then patiently wait for the Transmission tune from you.
Thanks again!

Guithues

Reaction score
I'm sure I am walking into it here, but is the Cobb/MPT significantly different/better than the factory Sport Mode?
By that question I mean, the Sport Mode certainly "wakes the truck up" and would seem to have the benefit of Ford engineering.
Thanks for your thoughts!

poser999

Reaction score
I'm sure I am walking into it here, but is the Cobb/MPT significantly different/better than the factory Sport Mode?
By that question I mean, the Sport Mode certainly "wakes the truck up" and would seem to have the benefit of Ford engineering.

I’d like to know more about this also. Does a tune make normal mode feel like sport, and sport feel like super sport? Does a mild mode like Weather/snow also get juiced up? I could see where that could be counterproductive.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you're underwhelmed with the throttle response! Luckily, there is still quite a bit of adjustment left for you to increase pedal sensitivity. From the little I know about Pedal Commander, the Sport +4 is about as aggressive throttle response as it gets. Try setting the Dynamic Pedal Control feature to +10 to compare. No need to reflash the truck - you could even adjust it while driving for realtime changes in throttle mapping.

For a bit more information on how DPC works, check out this link:
https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wi...eatures+Dynamic+Pedal+Control+for+Ford+Raptor

If that adjustment range still isn't enough for you, you could definitely contact a Protuner to re-configure your throttle mapping to be more aggressive, or even download a copy of our Accesstuner software to adjust it yourself.

Let us know how that DPC change works for you. If you have other questions/concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us directly through our customer service channel ([email protected]) for more detail or datalog review.

Transmission tuning is the Ford development team's #1 priority at the moment. There is plenty left to do, but as you all know, there is a lot to improve upon for the stock transmission calibration. We'll keep the community updated as we near the end of the project.

Best,
Sam@COBB

Can't wait for the transmission tuning.

OP
OP
R

RAG13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a GREAT thought and observation. Sport mode definitely wakes the truck up more and takes away that sluggish feeling. Normal mode with my PC at Sport +4 was also great! I had assumed that the Cobb Stage 1 tuning which boasts at least 50 more HP and 75 more torque would have actually added an amazing feeling of more power, because in effect its doing what the PC does not do, add the power, not just the "feel" of more power. I'm going to continue to play around with the DPC as suggested by Cobb and see if that helps enough. If not I may just reinstall my PC and see if that coupled with the Cobb tune makes things even better than either one alone. I'll keep everyone posted.

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I’d like to know more about this also. Does a tune make normal mode feel like sport, and sport feel like super sport? Does a mild mode like Weather/snow also get juiced up? I could see where that could be counterproductive.

Good question! The difference you feel while in different drive modes, regardless of tuned or stock, will boil down really to two different things: 1) throttle translation, and 2) shift schedules/characteristics

Throttle translation is pretty simple. The accelerator pedal has a position sensor that can output a position signal, 0% to 100%. Throttle translation takes in the signal from this pedal position sensor and manipulates the signal to increase or decrease. The output signal, or Accelerator Pedal Position (Translated), is used to determine the amount of Requested Torque - a variable that is pretty far up-stream of the entire airflow and boost control strategy. For reference, there can be, and often is, a significant difference between pedal position and the actual angle of the throttle body.

Here are some examples from a stock 2018 Raptor:
  • On a stock tune in 'Normal' drive mode, there is a 1:1 relationship between pedal position and translated pedal position. At 33% actual APP, APP Translated is 33%. At APP Translated of 33%, throttle requested torque at 3000RPM would equate to roughly 215 ft./lbs.
  • On a stock tune in 'Sport' drive mode, the relationship between pedal position and translated pedal position is non-linear, and gives a more touchy or sensitive feel. At 33% actual APP, APP Translated is 42%. At APP Translated of 42%, throttle requested torque at 3000RPM will be roughly 310 ft./lbs.
But in both drive modes, 100% APP = 100% APP Translated. At 100% APP Translated at 3000RPM, torque request will be roughly 500 ft./lbs. So, you can see how this change in throttle translation can make the car feel a lot more peppy at low to mid pedal inputs, but still doesn't change the maximum amount of torque requests that the ECU and engine sees.

* These torque values are not to be considered actual measurements of output, and should be considered as rough, semi-arbitrary units that are used to model engine output.

When you flash a tune to your ECU, part of what we're doing is increasing the maximum amount of Requested Torque at 100% pedal position, as well as increasing low and mid-range requested torque to create a smoothly transitioning table, where power request tracks pretty linearly with pedal position input. Of course, there is a lot more that goes on outside of requested torque, such as optimizing safe ignition timing, ideal fueling, ideal cam position, etc. But this Throttle Requested Torque table is a good way to view, from a high level, what the sort of differences would be between how the truck behaves in different drive modes stock and tuned.

A cool feature of the Accessport, our OTS maps, and any Protune created in our AccesstunerPro software is the Dynamic Pedal Control (DPC) system. This allows you to tailor throttle translations to your exact preference, either more sensitive or less sensitive. But, again, a DPC setting of -5 or +10 will still give you the same WOT power. So at low pedal inputs, you could configure your Accessport-flashed map to feel very similar to a stock map, or a lot more sensitive than stock. But at WOT, you're going to feel that extra power no matter what. And all of this DPC adjustment can be done directly from your Accessport, without the need to reflash the car or even turn the engine off.

Shift schedules and shift characteristics also change depending on drive modes. For example, you'll notice that in Normal drive mode at low to mid throttle inputs, the transmission will skip shift 1 to 3, 3 to 5, etc. In Sport mode, skip shift does not occur; instead, the trans. will shift 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, etc. regardless of pedal input. This is because the change in the currently active drive mode has changed which shift schedule tables are being used by the transmission controller (TCM). This is just one example, and there are a LOT of other shift characteristics that are drive mode variable. While you might not be able to shave much time off of your 1/4 mile time with a transmission tune or in different drive modes, a tune can greatly change how the car feels in daily driving. That's why we're so eager to get TCM support out, and that's why it is the Ford team's highest priority.

One good thing to know with our product is that if you buy an Accessport now for ECU tuning, you will have the option to add on TCM support later without having to buy a new device. TCM support will be an additional cost feature, but you will be able to enable that feature by purchasing a license key that can be emailed to you. This is how we've implemented that feature for our ECU+TCM support on the Nissan GTR, Porsche PDK, and Volkswagen DSG platforms, so it is a simple, easy, and ironed-out process.

Best,
Sam@COBB

tlnt60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a GREAT thought and observation. Sport mode definitely wakes the truck up more and takes away that sluggish feeling. Normal mode with my PC at Sport +4 was also great! I had assumed that the Cobb Stage 1 tuning which boasts at least 50 more HP and 75 more torque would have actually added an amazing feeling of more power, because in effect its doing what the PC does not do, add the power, not just the "feel" of more power. I'm going to continue to play around with the DPC as suggested by Cobb and see if that helps enough. If not I may just reinstall my PC and see if that coupled with the Cobb tune makes things even better than either one alone. I'll keep everyone posted.

out of curiosity, just because you’re the first person I’ve come across that runs the PC at full, do you have any other cars (specifically sports cars) that you’re comparing the feel too? I know the PC maxed out would be like full throttle at 5% input on the actual pedal... that would for sure give you the kick in the pants as these trucks have a healthy amount of torque.... maybe turn pedal control on the AP to 10 (max) to compare apples to apples?

you might not feel the increased peak power, or even really feel the power at all. What should happen is that the power delivery at equal comparisons will be better, the boost response will be better and the power curve will be smoother.

on my NA car that’s tuned (C63) the power was a little more noticeable because there is no turbo torque so an increase in power is easier to feel. This is the reason why I asked if you had another car.