COBB CAI Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DozerEO2

Reaction score
I was just at my dealer this morning for regular maintenance. I picked the service managers brain about certain upgrades, i.e. catch can, CAI, tune etc. He pretty much told that in fact a tune would void the power train warranty. CAI, not so much. That said, no matter the CAI the ECU needs to be adjusted for the increased air flow that the MAF is detecting. I was told that the ECU can be reprogrammed to accommodate said increase without a complete tune.
If I am wrong or have been fed a line of crap, please correct me.
Also regarding voided manufacturer power train warranties I have noticed that some tuners, Stage 3 & 5 Star offer their own power train warranty. Does COBB?

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know anyone that has successfully collected from a tuner provided warranty? I'd validate how useful they are before putting too much faith in it.

FrodoTBaggins88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know anyone that has successfully collected from a tuner provided warranty? I'd validate how useful they are before putting too much faith in it.

I got my 5* tune through Stage 3 Motorsports and the rep I usually talk to at Stage 3 told me the 5* warranty has paid out on at least a couple of blown engines. I got the warranty. It's relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things with a $75k truck with $10k+ of mods.

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was just at my dealer this morning for regular maintenance. I picked the service managers brain about certain upgrades, i.e. catch can, CAI, tune etc. He pretty much told that in fact a tune would void the power train warranty. CAI, not so much. That said, no matter the CAI the ECU needs to be adjusted for the increased air flow that the MAF is detecting. I was told that the ECU can be reprogrammed to accommodate said increase without a complete tune.
If I am wrong or have been fed a line of crap, please correct me.
Also regarding voided manufacturer power train warranties I have noticed that some tuners, Stage 3 & 5 Star offer their own power train warranty. Does COBB?

The Gen 2 Raptor doesn't have a MAF sensor. It uses a MAP sensor with a speed density based tuning strategy. With this, you can use pretty much anything as an intake without the need for calibration changes.

We do not offer any drivetrain warranty. As long as you maintain the truck and use the correct fuel, the likelihood of any catastrophic failure on a COBB OTS map is the same as if the truck were stock (almost 0).

Kyle@COBB

Last edited:

Raptorx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Gen 2 Raptor doesn't have a MAF sensor. It uses a MAP sensor with a speed density based tuning strategy. With this, you can use pretty much anything as an intake without the need for calibration changes.

We do not offer any drivetrain warranty. As long as you maintain the truck and use the correct fuel, the likelihood of any catastrophic failure on a COBB OTS map is the same as if the truck were stock (almost 0).

Kyle@COBB

I have a question regarding the CAI. In the instructions it says to flash a map after installing the Cobb CAI. Why?

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a question regarding the CAI. In the instructions it says to flash a map after installing the Cobb CAI. Why?

We're always going to recommend the ideal situation but tuning isn't necessarily required for the intake. As mentioned above, if you intend to use only the intake without the tune, that there are potential issues running the intake on the 17 model year without a tune. There are subtle differences within the OEM logic that have more narrow thresholds on the 17 vs the 18. With the intake installed, certain conditions have the potential to trigger a DTC on the 17 model year. This is not an issue with the 18 model year logic. The changes from the factory on the 18 are implemented on the Stage 1 tune for the 17 model year.

Kyle@COBB