COBB CAI Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnnyBGood

Reaction score
Folks,

Let me say I treasure your advice, except Jake.

I am looking forward to getting the COBB Tuning installed.

I am a bit concerned about installing the CAI.

Will my dealer be 'suspicious' seeing the COBB nameplate and a modified intake.

While the Tune is not readily visible, the CAI is readily seen.

I guess what I am asking is the risk worth the gain?

I value your opinions !!!

Thanks, JohnnyB

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks,

Thanks, JohnnyB

They will know. When you get the cam phaser rattle, or the low oil, or low oil pressure, this gets Ford off the hook. Better to stay stock than be sorry.

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Folks,

Thanks, JohnnyB

MOST dealers are ok with some basic modifications (especially if you have a "performance" version of something offered). If the warranty is a priority I'd recommend just asking your dealer about how they'd feel if you did install the intake.

I should also mention, in case other folks read this that intend to use only the intake without the tune, that there are potential issues running the intake on the 17 model year without a tune. There are subtle differences within the OEM logic that have more narrow thresholds on the 17 vs the 18. With the intake installed, certain conditions have the potential to trigger a DTC on the 17 model year. This is not an issue with the 18 model year logic. The changes from the factory on the 18 are implemented on the Stage 1 tune for the 17 model year.

Kyle@COBB

Last edited:

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Much harder to claim CAI "caused" the damage under Magnuson-Moss than a tune that changes most engine parameters from stock.

Raptor-FTW

Reaction score
is the cobb intake CARB certified as well?
It doesn't appear to currently be. It takes a lot of time and bureaucracy to get through the certification process. I assume COBB wasn't going to delay release just because of CA. The good news is cops don't seem attracted to inspecting my Raptor the same way they do my STi.

pnoob2

Reaction score
It doesn't appear to currently be. It takes a lot of time and bureaucracy to get through the certification process. I assume COBB wasn't going to delay release just because of CA. The good news is cops don't seem attracted to inspecting my Raptor the same way they do my STi.
Yea not a deal breaker for me ... was just hopeful to have the added safety blanket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18RaptorOW

Reaction score
Yea not a deal breaker for me ... was just hopeful to have the added safety blanket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same feeling... I can wait to pull the plug later when they have the intercooler, downpipes package and hopefully then it will be CARB approved. Until then ill stay stock to keep my factory warranty.