CNG (Compressed Natural Gas): Anyone thought about a bifuel conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yesterday GM announced that the Silverado will come with an optional bifuel CNG conversion package. DailyTech - GMC, Chevrolet Offer Full-Size Bi-Fuel Trucks Using CNG or Gasoline

That got me thinkin... anyone done a conversion on an F150? I did some quick checking and the F150 is one of the few models that has been approved by the EPA for aftermarket conversion (if done by certified installers; this isn't something you can do in your garage).

I haven't seen costs yet, but I get the feeling its in the $3-4k range. As for MPG, it looks like CNG generally nets 25% less miles for the same volume. But right now a gallon of gas in my area is $4.30, whereas a "gallon" of natural gas is $2.30; almost half the cost.

My math says if I continue to drive 15k miles a year, and average 14mpg (very rough est), and if gas averages $4.30 a gal, I'll spend $4,600 in gas. If I ran on CNG instead, that cost looks more like $3500. The system would pay for itself in 3-4 years (again assuming costs stay relatively the same).

As of this second I don't plan on doing this. But still I thought it was pretty interesting idea, especially since GM will be offering it as a factory option. What do ya think?

PS: And before anyone says its unsafe, do your homework. CNG use has been shown to actually be safer than the liquid fuel we all use today.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I worked at Ford we made a lot of CNG vehicles... and ya they are as safe if not safer that petro vehicles... Its only the tank, injectors, pump, and lines to make the change... except it is estimated that there are only about 1,500 natural gas fueling stations on a national scale in the US. Only about half of these stations are made open to the public. And with the negativity that fraking brings I dont see natural gas going anywhere...

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Funny you should ask this...
We are doing a short for a guy who designed and built a CNG car by hand in his garage. Truly a work of art and he drove it coast to coast with no support vehicle! I'll have more on the car in a month or so, also if you have any questions I'll be happy to pass them along! JT knows his stuff...

Jay Lenos Garage - Magnolia Special - Video - http://www.jaylenosgarage.com

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting! Very cool Cine.

Hock a couple thoughts on the fillup issue; I'm fortunate that in my area I literally have a dozen to choose from within a 30 mile radius.

And what's more, you can actually buy and install a home unit. You don't need a fill station if you have NG coming into your home. Just purchase the few hundred dollar pump, have a certified installer put it in and you've got all the NG you need.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting! Very cool Cine.

Hock a couple thoughts on the fillup issue; I'm fortunate that in my area I literally have a dozen to choose from within a 30 mile radius.

And what's more, you can actually buy and install a home unit. You don't need a fill station if you have NG coming into your home. Just purchase the few hundred dollar pump, have a certified installer put it in and you've got all the NG you need.

Yep... Ya sure can do that... Ya only need the filling station to drive on a trip...

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I worked at Ford we made a lot of CNG vehicles... and ya they are as safe if not safer that petro vehicles... Its only the tank, injectors, pump, and lines to make the change... except it is estimated that there are only about 1,500 natural gas fueling stations on a national scale in the US. Only about half of these stations are made open to the public. And with the negativity that fraking brings I dont see natural gas going anywhere...

The only thing holding back natural gas is the price right now. We are producers and the price is down 75% from 4 years ago. There is too much supply and when the price moves up drilling will start up again. Here they are shutting in wells because the price of gas is not enough to justify production costs. Do not know when this will change but as the big over the road truck begin to use it over the next couple of years hopefully the price will go up.

Would I run it in my vehicle--no because I do not want a bomb with me. Been there done that with propane and my oil burners!!

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep... Ya sure can do that... Ya only need the filling station to drive on a trip...
Yepyep. And that is why I love the bifuel idea. Run gas where you have to, run CNG when you can.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing holding back natural gas is the price right now. We are producers and the price is down 75% from 4 years ago. There is too much supply and when the price moves up drilling will start up again. Here they are shutting in wells because the price of gas is not enough to justify production costs. Do not know when this will change but as the big over the road truck begin to use it over the next couple of years hopefully the price will go up.

Would I run it in my vehicle--no because I do not want a bomb with me. Been there done that with propane and my oil burners!!

Bomb? You drive with a big one about 20in from your face and that dont bother you? lol CNG tanks coated with carbon fiber... They have been shot and not penetrated... Still, I do understand your feelings...

cage1993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked into this a few years ago for another F-150 I had, and it was way more than $3-4K. It was more around the $10-12K range! I quickly forgot about it, because with the reduced MPG and as quickly as I trade vehicles, it would never pay for itself in my case. Ford actually had a program where fleet trucks could be fitted for CNG. It was real common for government entities to order these directly from Ford. Randy might have some more info on that, but I'm pretty sure that option even added nearly $10K. A little info: https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/environmental_vehicles/CNG_LPG.ASP

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow! I wonder what's changed? To add it to the Silverado will be a $3k adder.