Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
lol I’m currently looking at moving to a 392 myself. But I’ve been in that world for a while now.
If you are bouncing on the rear bumper and can hear the noise, it should be much easier to track it down. Have one person jump on the bumper while you lay underneath and you can put your hand on different suspension parts and see where it is coming from. My bet would be the spring is not seated perfectly.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After driving a Wrangler for 14 years and 240k miles my dream was a truck that didn’t have any rattles. Lol
lol I’m currently looking at moving to a 392 myself. But I’ve been in that game for a while now.
If you are bouncing on the rear bumper and can hear the noise, it should be much easier to track it down. Have one person jump on the bumper while you lay underneath and you can put your hand on different suspension parts and see where it is coming from. My bet would be the spring is not seated perfectly.
Maybe, but it’s the exact same noise as before the shock swap

QCRappy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck is currently at a new dealership to diagnosis the shocks, hoping for all four to be replaced. Should have update today/tomorrow. I've had Tarita Johnson (Ford Exec Team) follow my case after first two dealers failed to get shocks ever after ordering. Hoping third is the charm

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Truck is currently at a new dealership to diagnosis the shocks, hoping for all four to be replaced. Should have update today/tomorrow. I've had Tarita Johnson (Ford Exec Team) follow my case after first two dealers failed to get shocks ever after ordering. Hoping third is the charm
Is yours a 37? I am hearing wait times for the 37" shocks. There are no lead times and parts are available within 5 days for the 35" package.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How’s that executive care for you going?
i will say that even a brand new RaptorR I jumped up and down on the rear bumper at the stealership and it clunked on the back too

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gents, I’m sad to say this but I’ve had all four replaced about a year ago and I’m starting to notice quite a bit of noise coming from the rear again. Sounds like the exact same subtle clunk that I had in the beginning, likes golf ball rattling going over sharp bumps.

I’m starting to think this might actually be normal operation for these shocks and something I’ll just have to learn to live with. There’s no way in hell I’m going back to the dealer for this issue again.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gents, I’m sad to say this but I’ve had all four replaced about a year ago and I’m starting to notice quite a bit of noise coming from the rear again. Sounds like the exact same subtle clunk that I had in the beginning, likes golf ball rattling going over sharp bumps.

I’m starting to think this might actually be normal operation for these shocks and something I’ll just have to learn to live with. There’s no way in hell I’m going back to the dealer for this issue again.
I think there’s a mixture of expected noise in this thread and then actual problematic noise

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s also other random stuff that is surprisingly loud. There’s some plastic trim of sorts between the bed and the cab down near the frame that makes more noise than you’d expect. It used to not do it, but these things happen.