Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LayinWatts69

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got mine back yesterday, went straight to the dirt from the dealer. Can’t believe how much of an improvement the new shocks are. Clunk is gone, but most importantly the shock dampening is correct!

So relieved.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got mine back yesterday, went straight to the dirt from the dealer. Can’t believe how much of an improvement the new shocks are. Clunk is gone, but most importantly the shock dampening is correct!

So relieved.
I just got mine back. Clunk is gone but the VDM circuit open trouble code I have in the bcm is still present after replacing the BCM. I have zero change in dampening modes. Do you notice the difference?

LayinWatts69

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got mine back. Clunk is gone but the VDM circuit open trouble code I have in the bcm is still present after replacing the BCM. I have zero change in dampening modes. Do you notice the difference?
Yes, I noticed a difference when I switched the suspension to off-road. I haven’t ever had a code pop up, before or after. Hope yours is easily fixed!

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh shit, don’t do it! Although I understand after 8 trips to the dealer. Sorry to hear of your experience, I can imagine how frustrated you’ve been.
Honestly, without turning into a b*tchfest I have to say I’ve owned 3 raptors and not a single one was owned without a lingering issue during ownership.

Last edited:

Tbogo

Reaction score
Service bulletin was released today.

SSM 50972 2021-2022 F-150 Raptor - Clunk/Thump/Rattle Noise From The Front And/Or Rear When Going Over Bumps - Built On Or Before 16-Jun-2022
Some 2021-2022 F-150 Raptor vehicles built on or before 16-Jun-2022 may experience a clunk, thump, and/or rattle noise from the front and /or rear when going over bumps. This may be due to a concern with the shock absorbers. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Sections 100-04 and 204-00 to perform the appropriate noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) diagnosis and inspections. If diagnosis leads to a shock absorber, replace only the affected shock absorber(s). Refer to WSM, Sections 204-01B (front) and/or 204-02 (rear).
OK here's my story... I recently bought a 21 (build date 9/30/21) last year June 2023 with 32K miles after totaling my 2020. I love this truck mainly because of the improved interior and the 5link suspension. Having driven it now for more than 6 months I was always under the impression the clunking sound (front I think) was just normal for this newer truck and just let it go until I read this thread. So I am certain I have this issue and now have just over 37K miles now and the standard 36k warranty is expired.

My question ...Can I still use this SSM to have it fixed even though the warranty has expired as the SSM does not mention anything about mileage or an expiration date? And if so do I mention the SSM to the service advisor initially or wait for them to agree there is some clunking going on? Hoping to get this resolved as it annoying as heck.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the part numbers of the latest revision of shocks? My rears still make the clunk when you jump up and down on the rear so that’s either not a good test or mine still aren’t fixed.

I never got paperwork for my service visit as the tech “needs to write down a lot” and they would send it “later.”

These are 37PP rears

Attachments

• IMG_4406.jpeg
    IMG_4406.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4404.jpeg
    IMG_4404.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the part numbers of the latest revision of shocks? My rears still make the clunk when you jump up and down on the rear so that’s either not a good test or mine still aren’t fixed.

I never got paperwork for my service visit as the tech “needs to write down a lot” and they would send it “later.”
Mine still clunk if I bounce it, but it’s MUCH less pronounced than it was before. In the video it’s about as loud as stuff rustling around. Also not noticeable from in the cab whereas it previously was very much so. Honestly I never really cared so much about the sound it was more the fact that you could feel it. I should add these are for a 35.IMG_4405.jpegIMG_4404.jpeg
View attachment IMG_4406.mov

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK here's my story... I recently bought a 21 (build date 9/30/21) last year June 2023 with 32K miles after totaling my 2020. I love this truck mainly because of the improved interior and the 5link suspension. Having driven it now for more than 6 months I was always under the impression the clunking sound (front I think) was just normal for this newer truck and just let it go until I read this thread. So I am certain I have this issue and now have just over 37K miles now and the standard 36k warranty is expired.

My question ...Can I still use this SSM to have it fixed even though the warranty has expired as the SSM does not mention anything about mileage or an expiration date? And if so do I mention the SSM to the service advisor initially or wait for them to agree there is some clunking going on? Hoping to get this resolved as it annoying as heck.
Service message and bulletins only apply under warranty. So you’re probably better off buying the shocks and having them installed at an independent shop.