Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Off the description I seen here, maybe you don’t have the shock issue. On my truck, 21 with 35’s, I could stand on the bumper and bounce the suspension and it would clunk. Driving down a smooth road with the little bumps from pavement cracking would cause the clunk.
I showed the tech the clunk by bouncing on the bumper, 15 min later, they said both rear shocks were needed.
Look at it this way, the dealer say’s you don’t have old clunkers. That’s good, right.

braptr

Reaction score
I wish I could post the video. I tried earlier but it said it was too large. It’s only 10 seconds… Out of all 4 corners, 3 are quiet no matter the size of bump or speed. One rear shock is clunking which to me seems like it is when the suspension is on the rebound of a bump when the shock is extending back to ride height after a bump. The compression stroke seems to not make any noise. Don’t know if this is the same as other raptor owners as well. It’s clearly audible in only one corner and can be heard just by bouncing on the bumper.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I could post the video. I tried earlier but it said it was too large. It’s only 10 seconds… Out of all 4 corners, 3 are quiet no matter the size of bump or speed. One rear shock is clunking which to me seems like it is when the suspension is on the rebound of a bump when the shock is extending back to ride height after a bump. The compression stroke seems to not make any noise. Don’t know if this is the same as other raptor owners as well. It’s clearly audible in only one corner and can be heard just by bouncing on the bumper.
Throw it up on YouTube

braptr

Reaction score
It sounds like it is coming from both sides but it’s just the video making it seem that way. I suppose I could put a jack with a board to the frame to isolate side to side but when you stick your head in the wheel well and have someone bounce on it you can tell in person very easily it’s from the passenger side.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That sounds just like mine did. There is no question there is a problem. Ok, you have the clunker. I would be pissed off they are sayings it’s normal. Take up a chair in the GM office and make him listen

braptr

Reaction score
That sounds just like mine did. There is no question there is a problem. Ok, you have the clunker. I would be pissed off they are sayings it’s normal. Take up a chair in the GM office and make him listen
Did you have yours repaired or did you trade in and get a different truck? Just curious. Honestly I really like the truck and I don’t want to get rid of it but this noise drives me nuts. I’d be willing to travel and drop it at another dealer if I knew that dealer would properly diagnose it and get it repaired.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They repaired it, both rears. Rode like a new truck when done.
I did get a new R 6-8 months later.

Not sure how true, but I was told that Fox made some screw up that allowed air/nitrogen in the shock body. The noise was caused by piston slapping the oil.

braptr

Reaction score
They repaired it, both rears. Rode like a new truck when done.
I did get a new R 6-8 months later.

Not sure how true, but I was told that Fox made some screw up that allowed air/nitrogen in the shock body. The noise was caused by piston slapping the oil.
From what I have gathered and understand the reason the SSM was able to be pinpointed to a build date is because fox realized there was a problem, resolved it and noted what parts were made before the change. Then that information went to ford which has a system that knows exactly what part goes in what truck on what day on the assembly line. It’s seems cut and dry but for some reason we as the customer get the short end of the stick on such an obvious issue.